wireways used as pull box

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
What determines if a wireway is being used as a pull box?

It is my opinion that if a conductor enters a wireway and that same conductor leaves the wireway, that the wireway is being used as a pull box.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
What determines if a wireway is being used as a pull box?

It is my opinion that if a conductor enters a wireway and that same conductor leaves the wireway, that the wireway is being used as a pull box.

IMO, a wireway is a wireway, even if one of its incidental functions is to serve as a pullbox.

in any case, doesn't every wire that enters a wireway always leave the wireway at some point? it would seem pointless to just leave the wire inside the wireway.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Bob,
My point is the sizing of the wireway. If it is used as a "pull box" for conductors #4 and larger, 376.23(B) requires that the wireway be sized per the rules in 314.28(A)(1) or (2).

How do I know if the wireway is being used as a pull box? As far as I know that is not a defined term.

plumb bob

I would consider it a pull box and subject to sizing restrictions if the raceway system into which it is installed would exceed 360 degrees of bending without it

edit: or any time the wire does not pass strait thru the wireway, using it as a ninety degree turn for example

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
don, That one has been a thorn in my side for years. I have a run of 4/0s in a 3" raceway and my jbox has to have a minimum dimension of 18", but the same conduit terminates in my 6x6 wire and everyone is happy as long as my raceways are 18" apart.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Bob,
My point is the sizing of the wireway. If it is used as a "pull box" for conductors #4 and larger, 376.23(B) requires that the wireway be sized per the rules in 314.28(A)(1) or (2).

How do I know if the wireway is being used as a pull box? As far as I know that is not a defined term.

As long as you don't call it a pull box you refer to 376.23(A) which takes you to Table 312.6(A), which I like much better.:)

Kidding aside, it's a fair question and I have wondered the same. Maybe some better language would be in order to limit the use of 376.23(A) and by reference 312.6(A) to cases where the conduit entering is of a certain max. length. Maybe use the 24" rules that we use for nipples.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
24" may be too short. The rules in 314.28(A) are for the protection of the conductors. With a 24" run, I think you could easily push the conductors through the raceway and there would be a minimal possibility of damaging the conductors. I was thinking 10' or 15'. I am not sure if the footage should be based on wire length or raceway length beyond the wireway.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
24" may be too short. The rules in 314.28(A) are for the protection of the conductors. With a 24" run, I think you could easily push the conductors through the raceway and there would be a minimal possibility of damaging the conductors. I was thinking 10' or 15'. I am not sure if the footage should be based on wire length or raceway length beyond the wireway.

I'm inclined to agree that 24" would be a little short. I do think the length of the conduit should be the criteria. Maybe we're onto a good idea here.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I'm inclined to agree that 24" would be a little short. I do think the length of the conduit should be the criteria. Maybe we're onto a good idea here.
The "public input" (formerly known as a proposal) is due the first Friday of November 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.