Sump Pump receptacle not gfci ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Regardless GFCI protection is required if the receptacle is in a location that requires GFCI protection. The protection is for the receptacle not the sump pump. For those in NJ the point is moot. :)

Agreed.

90.1 Purpose.
(B) Adequacy. This Code contains provisions that are considered
necessary for safety. Compliance therewith and
proper maintenance results in an installation that is essentially
free from hazard but not necessarily efficient, convenient,
or adequate for good service or future expansion of
electrical use.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
UL really does not have an issue .... installing a cord and plug.
:thumbsup:

I believe the big UL issue is if the wire terminations compartment can physically handle the 7/8" hole and present an appropiate surface for the locknut.

My sump pump has been on a GFCI, for 25 years and it operates daily all year, during the spring melt, it will operate every 5-10 minutes.
I have never had a tripped GFCI.
I have had stuck floats and burned out pumps.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Regardless GFCI protection is required if the receptacle is in a location that requires GFCI protection. The protection is for the receptacle not the sump pump. For those in NJ the point is moot. :)

Which supplies some motivation for the Ohio rule requiring a nearby GFCI protected receptacle.
It is to remove the temptation for someone to unplug the sump pump to plug in their vacuum cleaner. :)

Tapatalk!

kwired

Electron manager
Which supplies some motivation for the Ohio rule requiring a nearby GFCI protected receptacle.
It is to remove the temptation for someone to unplug the sump pump to plug in their vacuum cleaner. :)

Tapatalk!

I've seen first hand how well that works back when we were allowed to put dedicated non GFCI receptacles for certain equipment that in general isn't allowed anymore. Guess which receptacle will not have what users see as a potential trip problem, and is the one they will prefer to plug things into?

I have even noticed in instances where you have a GFCI and regular duplex receptacle in a two gang box, people tend to plug things into the regular duplex first, and even will plug "multipliers" into them instead of using the GFCI receptacle, even though they don't realize it has the same protection on it as the GFCI receptacle itself:roll:

Just the simple notion of putting a sump pump on a GFCI is a guaranteed flood.
Regardless of the intent of those devices and all the intense micromanagement put into forcing them into the wrong places, they could be re-named with some coloful language about reliability with respect to keeping critical loads powered up.
How do you compare what a flood is worth to what an electrocution is worth? GFCI is not intended to protect the pump, it is intended to protect people. You can also have a flood if the pump or control, or anything else associated with it malfunctions

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I would plug into the straight receptacle in the quad box first just so I would not have to unplug something to get at the test and reset buttons. :)

Tapatalk!

Status
Not open for further replies.