Grounding terminations

Status
Not open for further replies.

jordyn16

I took over a job that some other electrician installed 2 - 200-amp sub-panels. An inspector said that all romex ground wires must be seperatly terminated to the ground bar. I thought that the ground wires could be attached with a grounding barrel an then a remaining ground wire could be terminated to the ground bar. Lets say install a grounding barrel to three romex # 12 ground wires and cut two wires short and install the remaining ground wire to the ground bar

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So what you're saying is that you want to splice several EGC's together and tail off with one EGC to the ground bar?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I took over a job that some other electrician installed 2 - 200-amp sub-panels. An inspector said that all romex ground wires must be seperatly terminated to the ground bar. I thought that the ground wires could be attached with a grounding barrel an then a remaining ground wire could be terminated to the ground bar. Lets say install a grounding barrel to three romex # 12 ground wires and cut two wires short and install the remaining ground wire to the ground bar

In general, I don't see an issue with this practice, even though some might think it is unattractive.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Historically I've accepted it without ever referencing the NEC. Your asking the question prompted me to search. I can find no reference that prohibits doing so, but the reference I have always had in mind in 250.122(C) which does not seem to directly address your situation. Someone else may know of a better reference that you could use.

mwm1752

As long as it comforms to 110.14(B) and the sizing is based upon the largest ECG within the splice I can't find a no to the question. Most grounding busses will let you attach multiple EGC under 1 terminal but limit you to 1 grounded conductor under 1 terminal.

kwired

Electron manager
As long as it comforms to 110.14(B) and the sizing is based upon the largest ECG within the splice I can't find a no to the question. Most grounding busses will let you attach multiple EGC under 1 terminal but limit you to 1 grounded conductor under 1 terminal.
That is the key right there, NEC also limits you to one grounded conductor per terminal but does not limit grounding conductors per terminal. Therefore the limiting factor is design and listing of the device attached to. If it is designed for a particular number of conductors then you must stay within those limitations. You will not find a listed connection device that is not limited to a maximum number or size of conductors that I am aware of

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer

Your inspector would be incorrect.

The only requirement for a single conductor termination is 408.21 for grounded conductor "neutral".

for the equipment grounding conductors the UL listing on the panel allows up to three wires # ten or smaller to be terminated under one terminal.

bullheimer

common practice is two bare wires under one screw, one white wire under each screw. i have not been called on three bares under a screw, but i have seen plenty of pigtails of well, actually, both. i would have to question pigtailing a grounded conductor tho. unless you took a larger wire to the N bar.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Unless of course the particular two or three neutrals, when pigtailed, created an MWBC.

Tapatalk!

That would be code compliant, using a bigger conductor to splice to a few smaller grounded conductors might work but it wouldn't be code compliant.

kwired

Electron manager
Neutrals would not be allowed to be pigtailed for the same reason the single conductor per terminal.
I believe he was talking about pigtailing two or three together and landing on one neutral bar slot, and making a legal multiwire branch circuit out of it, that would of course have to include common trip breaker or handle ties as well. What difference to the definition of multiwire branch circuit does it make if the common neutral splits at the panelboard or a point further down the line?

gmeerschaert

As has been mentioned, each grounded conductor would have to terminate into an individual terminal, I would be curious as to the reason for grouping of the grounding conductors though, given that there are two 200A panels and you can put at least two in a terminal, that and I like shooting the bull out in the field:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.