If you have two boxes less then 36 inches apart, does the pipe need to be strapped?

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If you want to follow the letter of the code all conduits, no mater how short, require a support and in the case non-flexible conduits the conduit terminations are not supports. In most cases the inspector will permit 2 to 3' of straight non-flexible conduits to be be supported by the conduit terminations, but that is not what the code says.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
If you want to follow the letter of the code all conduits, no mater how short, require a support and in the case non-flexible conduits the conduit terminations are not supports. In most cases the inspector will permit 2 to 3' of straight non-flexible conduits to be be supported by the conduit terminations, but that is not what the code says.

I would agree a support is required between termination points.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

I agree that's what the NEC says even if I think that it's dumb. ;)

cadpoint

Your weekend to watch me, Don?

Was it the fact that I stated a Chapter 9 Something as opposed to an actual Article of work to be completed by the OP's question?

Why such a comment, The Index say Nipples, conduit,see Conduit nipples.
Conduit nipples Chap. 9 Note 4.

Let me assume the the OP thinks they have a nipple application, either by minimal length or not understanding the length of when it's a nipple or not.

They said pipe, let me assume EMT, but not RMC, or flex or you stated.

To the OP you need two means of mechancial fastening? You the OP do not have the luxary of 60 percent fill that the 2'-0? nipple would provide, IE run some more pipe (EMT) or what ever you choice is of raceway is (assuming something round!)

kwired

Electron manager
I agree that's what the NEC says even if I think that it's dumb. ;)
Same here. I have brought it up before, sometimes putting it to some extremes to make the reality set in better, like if I put a strap on a 30 inch long piece of 4 inch RMC between two cabinets, and well secured to each cabinet, does the strap support the RMC or does the RMC support the strap?:roll:

Your weekend to watch me, Don?

Was it the fact that I stated a Chapter 9 Something as opposed to an actual Article of work to be completed by the OP's question?

Why such a comment, The Index say Nipples, conduit,see Conduit nipples.
Conduit nipples Chap. 9 Note 4.

Let me assume the the OP thinks they have a nipple application, either by minimal length or not understanding the length of when it's a nipple or not.

They said pipe, let me assume EMT, but not RMC, or flex or you stated.

To the OP you need two means of mechancial fastening? You the OP do not have the luxary of 60 percent fill that the 2'-0? nipple would provide, IE run some more pipe (EMT) or what ever you choice is of raceway is (assuming something round!)
Got me all confused, your mentioned note 4 is about raceway fill, OP question was about raceway support.

cadpoint

Same here. I have brought it up before, sometimes putting it to some extremes to make the reality set in better, like if I put a strap on a 30 inch long piece of 4 inch RMC between two cabinets, and well secured to each cabinet, does the strap support the RMC or does the RMC support the strap?:roll:

Got me all confused, your mentioned note 4 is about raceway fill, OP question was about raceway support.

If you over 24" you can make me out to be an ass as you do always , chap 9 note 4 is what I stated don't read to much into it.

cadpoint

The code for unsupport/non-secured wipes only apply to light wipes of 6' or less.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
If you over 24" you can make me out to be an ass as you do always , chap 9 note 4 is what I stated don't read to much into it.
But that section has nothing to do with support and everything to do with raceway fill, the OP's question is about support not fill:?

Not saying you are wrong, but I don't see that you are answering the question that has been asked either.

Thread title: If you have two boxes less then 36 inches apart, does the pipe need to be strapped?

How do you get an answer involving raceway fill rules?

If anything we need to ask what kind of raceway it is before we can accurately answer, but for the most part unless it is a flexible raceway, the first support of almost all other raceways needs only to be within 3 feet of the raceway termination, ultimately making the question become does a second termination within three feet of the first require additional raceway support or can the termination method(s) be considered the support?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If anything we need to ask what kind of raceway it is before we can accurately answer, but for the most part unless it is a flexible raceway, the first support of almost all other raceways needs only to be within 3 feet of the raceway termination, ultimately making the question become does a second termination within three feet of the first require additional raceway support or can the termination method(s) be considered the support?
Given the fact that the code specifically permits a raceway termination to be used as the raceway support for flexible raceways used as fixture whips, it is my opinion that the use of raceway terminations as the required raceway support for other applications is not permitted.

The issue of short non-flexible conduit supports was addressed in the 2008 code cycle and then removed from the code. The removed sections permitted raceways of 18" or less to be unsupported.

The code needs to add an exception to the non-flexible raceway support rules that would permit the raceway termination to be used as the required raceway support when the length of the raceway is 3' or less. Many inspectors permit this installation now, but the code rules do not.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to support a close nipple if support is required no matter how short the conduit run. Same goes for offset nipples.

Mark

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to support a close nipple if support is required no matter how short the conduit run. Same goes for offset nipples.

Mark

I agree with you on the close nipple. I guess that one could argue that an offset nipple is actually a fitting.

IMO the CMP is lost on this one. :roll:

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
This very question was submitted as a proposal for the 08 code, the CMP twisted it all around, and then it was removed from the 2011 NEC.
Most say closer than 3 feet don't need support but a close reading does not support that.
What does the word wizard, Charlie B say?
(He applies logic and reading rules to the NEC)

This very question was submitted as a proposal for the 08 code, the CMP twisted it all around, and then it was removed from the 2011 NEC.
Most say closer than 3 feet don't need support but a close reading does not support that.
What does the word wizard, Charlie B say?
(He applies logic and reading rules to the NEC)

What of the exception for emt and some others. Emt specifically NEC 2011 358.30(A) exception No. 1. where it can be increased to 5ft.

kwired

Electron manager
What of the exception for emt and some others. Emt specifically NEC 2011 358.30(A) exception No. 1. where it can be increased to 5ft.
If there is no structural items in that distance to attach to then why not use the exception?
If your 5 foot section is following a wall or something that could provide support I don't see you have any choice but to provide at least one support that is within 3 feet of each end of the raceway.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The exception does not eliminate the requirement for a support...it just permits the support to be at 5' in place of the general rule requiring it within 3'.

This would not be an issue if the code said that the raceway termination is permitted to be used as a support, but there is nothing in any of the non-flexible raceway articles that permit the raceway termination to be used as the required support.

Status
Not open for further replies.