(2) 3 Way Switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonc267

I am trying to feed (2) 3 way switches and another sigle pole switch using one feed coming off a run of high hats.. I have double gang box at the bottom of the stairs. In that box I have the stairwell 3 way and the living room 3 way. So the wires that enter that box are a 14/3 to other 3 way switch for living room, 14/3 going to the top of the stairwell 3 way switch. The feed a 14/2, that is homeruned at the first high hat out of 6. Then I have a 14/2 that goes to the den single pole switch. I am pretty sure I will need to take out the dens 14/2 and run a separate feed to that light. All of these lights are on the same circuit. Also the 14/3 that goes to the other liv room switch is in a double gang box next to front door. In that double gang box is a single pole switch for the exterior lights. Can i get a feed for the exterior lights off that 14/3? and can I feed the stairwell lights off of that single feed coming from the high hats homerun? Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
There are many ways to wire a 3 way. You need to be careful that you are using the same circuit neutral conductors and feeds and not sharing them between circuits that are not a multiwire branch circuit.

If the outdoor light switch has a feed then you can use that feed for the 3 way but then you have to use the same neutral from that circuit to the light. It is a bit unclear as to what you have and what you are doing.

just what are you trying to accomplish

just what are you trying to accomplish

I am trying to feed (2) 3 way switches and another sigle pole switch using one feed coming off a run of high hats.. I have double gang box at the bottom of the stairs. In that box I have the stairwell 3 way and the living room 3 way. So the wires that enter that box are a 14/3 to other 3 way switch for living room, 14/3 going to the top of the stairwell 3 way switch. The feed a 14/2, that is homeruned at the first high hat out of 6. Then I have a 14/2 that goes to the den single pole switch. I am pretty sure I will need to take out the dens 14/2 and run a separate feed to that light. All of these lights are on the same circuit. Also the 14/3 that goes to the other liv room switch is in a double gang box next to front door. In that double gang box is a single pole switch for the exterior lights. Can i get a feed for the exterior lights off that 14/3? and can I feed the stairwell lights off of that single feed coming from the high hats homerun? Thanks

Just what are you trying to accomplish?

Leave the high hats and three way switches alone. I understand what they did but if you don't have much experance with this kind of thing you will screw it all up by playing with it
The feed for the exterior lights is already there. The three ways are fed from the circuit in the basement. the signal pole switch apparently has another feed. Pull those switches out and look, Of course turn off the power first.
I don't know what else to tell you about the other stuff. I need more information to decide what is happening. But I think the frount door box with the signle pole switch and the 3-way have a seperate feed to that box.

Good Luck

growler

It is a bit unclear as to what you have and what you are doing.

Just what are you trying to accomplish?

jasonc267: I would suggest that you get a legal pad and draw out the circuits that you are trying to wire. If it works on paper it will work for real and if it's doesn't it easier to see where to correct the mistake.

When wiring the more simple you can make a circuit the easier it will be for you and those that come after you to follow what you are doing and that's a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.