APPLIANCE V EQUIPMENT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard it said the difference between appliances and equipment is an appliance comes with an attachment plug, while equipment does not. I cannot find such a rule in NFPA 70. Is there a formal interpretation of this, or did I over look it?

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
I have heard it said the difference between appliances and equipment is an appliance comes with an attachment plug, while equipment does not. I cannot find such a rule in NFPA 70. Is there a formal interpretation of this, or did I over look it?

Look at the definitions in Article 100. It does not support the above interpretation.

By the definitions, an "appliance" is "equipment."

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

This is what the code says.

Appliance. Utilization equipment, generally other than industrial,
that is normally built in standardized sizes or types
and is installed or connected as a unit to perform one or
more functions such as clothes washing, air conditioning,
food mixing, deep frying, and so forth.

Equipment. A general term, including fittings, devices, appliances,
luminaires, apparatus, machinery, and the like used as a
part of, or in connection with, an electrical installation.

So whoever told you that is just wrong, since appliances are also equipment.

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
422.16 says that in some cases appliances can be connected by flexible cords, and 422.31 talks about the means for disconnection of permanently connected appliances, so it is clear to me that what you were told is not correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.