3 WAY SWUTCH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonc267

Can I have one feed for two seperate 3 way switches?. It is living room lights and stairwell lights. The feed comes from the living room lights and ends in the double gang box. That double gang box has the stairwell 3 way switch in it also. Then (2) 14/3 romex( the travlers) goes to the other switches. So I have (2) 3way switches in a double gang box. I have the feed, a 14/2 romex that comes from a high hat in living room. and I have the 14/3 travelers in that box also. I am just confused about the feed coming from the high hats. Thanks in advance. I wish I remembered how to make a one line diagram.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If you cannot post a drawing maybe you can start with a list of all of the cables entering the 2 gang box and the function of each cable. Is this what you have in the 2 gang box?

1-14/3 to remote 3-way switch
1-14/3 to remote 3-way switch
1-14/2 feed to box (H&N)
1-14/2 Switch leg up to high hats (switch leg and neutral)

The missing piece of the puzzle is the switch leg cable feeding the stairway lights.

PetrosA

We definitely need a drawing since I don't think you listed everything that's there, or if you did, there's something else going on. If you only have one 14/2 coming from the recessed lights in the living room then you don't have a hot and neutral at the switch, rather you have a switch loop and the second three way switch is a dead end three way.

growler

I wish I remembered how to make a one line diagram.

You don't need a line diagram. After reading you earlier post I understand that you are rewiring an old house where wiring was damaged by vandalism.

What you need to do is keep track of what you are running to each switch box on paper to make sure that you will be able to do what you wish to do. Draw out what you are thinking of doing on paper and see if it works.

PetrosA

I checked out that other thread that growler mentioned and I'm confused now. Why do you think Philly is on the 2011 code, or are you working somewhere else? If this job is in PA, you need to be looking at the 2008 code book for your answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.