Daylight Saving Time (DST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Yes, geographical location matters.
I was born and brought up fairly far north in Scotland. I now live in the south east of England, over 500 miles to the south.
Even in that relatively short distance, there is a marked difference between the sunrise and sunset times. In summer in Scotland it was light enough to work outside until 11:00 pm. Not so down south.

I've worked in places near the equator and one of the things that struck me was the pretty abrupt transition from daylight to darkness. Very little of what we Scots would call "gloaming". The period between sunset and darkness. In my part of Scotland I recall it being hours. I remember the parents of us kids often getting worried because we were out playing so late. We simply lost track of time as the light just gradually faded. In some ways a magical time of day - or maybe that was just rose tinted - it was a very, very long time ago......:)

I vacationed many years ago in Ireland and I remember being astonished seeing light on the horizon at 9:30-10:00 at night in July. Dublin is at 53 north, whereas my then home town is at 41 north. It was fascinating to me.

kwired

Electron manager
First light about June 21 in these parts is around 4:30AM. There is still a little light in the northwestern sky until nearly 10:30 PM on same day. Dec 21 is more like 7:15AM to 5:30PM

I've been to eastern edge of the Rockies many times - in particular FT. Carson near CO springs, usually in June. They get the early light before sunrise, but it gets dark faster at sunset because of the mountains.

Last edited:

Besoeker

I vacationed many years ago in Ireland and I remember being astonished seeing light on the horizon at 9:30-10:00 at night in July. Dublin is at 53 north, whereas my then home town is at 41 north. It was fascinating to me.
Where I went to school was 56? 40?N, 3? 0? W.
Funny the things that stick in your mind.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I have a pretty good internal clock, meaning I can usually tell what time it is within a half hour or so, when I'm outside. But we used to go and visit my sister-in-law up in Seattle, and I would be all messed up, because we would be sitting on the back porch and it would just be getting dark, and it would be after 9:00.

Status
Not open for further replies.