Daylight Saving Time (DST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
How does the DST time change affect your business and/ or your personal life? Pros & cons are welcome. Just curious. Thanks!

I like the light later in the day.

Also if we stayed on EST we would have sunrise at 0400 and first light about an hour and a half before that in June.

Astronomy
Jun. 22, 2013RiseSet
Actual Time5:08 AM EDT8:24 PM EDT
Civil Twilight4:34 AM EDT8:59 PM EDT
Nautical Twilight3:49 AM EDT9:44 PM EDT
Astronomical Twilight
2:54 AM EDT10:38 PM EDT

All of those times would be an hour earlier so first light would be 0154 EST

Last edited:

mgookin

I like the light later in the day.

Also if we stayed on EST we would have sunrise at 0400 and first light about an hour and a half before that in June.

I have a sister on Nantucket. I was driving out to Hyannis once and I believe I saw daybreak around 345am. They are at 70 deg W longitude. That's a DST issue but also a time zone issue. Time zones do not follow lines of longitude.

But in my question I was asking more about the Monday morning of the time change and how it affects business and personal life around that weekend. Are you out making money changing time clocks on controls & machinery? Do you find it makes your employees less productive, late to work or accident prone on the Monday morning? My cell phone did not update until noon Sunday and that caused a minor inconvenience; I should have checked a second source. A friend's cell phone kept changing for 2 days flip flopping 2-3 hours at a time.

CT Tom

For some reason, the spring ahead over the past few years is really messing with my internal time clock. From about the day of the change to 4 weeks in I cannot wake up on time and my motivation level is off for a good 2 hrs... weird I know.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I have a sister on Nantucket. I was driving out to Hyannis once and I believe I saw daybreak around 345am. They are at 70 deg W longitude. That's a DST issue but also a time zone issue. Time zones do not follow lines of longitude.

But in my question I was asking more about the Monday morning of the time change and how it affects business and personal life around that weekend. Are you out making money changing time clocks on controls & machinery? Do you find it makes your employees less productive, late to work or accident prone on the Monday morning? My cell phone did not update until noon Sunday and that caused a minor inconvenience; I should have checked a second source. A friend's cell phone kept changing for 2 days flip flopping 2-3 hours at a time.

I agree we should be on Atlantic Time.:D

Nope not changing clocks anywhere , But yes that hour has an effect on everyone including me.

It gets really depressing when we go back to standard time because sunset is at 4:30 that time of year.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
For some reason, the spring ahead over the past few years is really messing with my internal time clock. From about the day of the change to 4 weeks in I cannot wake up on time and my motivation level is off for a good 2 hrs... weird I know.
That's funny the last couple have really gotten to me too. Used to never bother me, but as I've gotten older it sure has.

I still really don't get the whole thing. The sun's gonna come up when it comes up and it's gonna set when it's gonna set.

Like the old Indian saying goes, "only a white man could cut a foot off the top of the blanket and sew it to the bottom and think he's got a longer blanket."

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
Hmm My thoughts are :

Only the government would cut a foot off the top of the blanket and sew it to the bottom,,,,and then say "Look a longer blanket."

This IS NOT to be taken politically--just tongue in cheek humor!

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Ah, but cutting a foot off a long blanket and sewing it onto a short blanket is a different situation and should not be confused with lengthening all of the blankets. (That last one is a nod to Dereck.)

Tapatalk!

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Well, that extra hour of sunshine in the afternoon has been burning my lawn up!

:D
Seriously, I hate the time change. Put it on DST and leave it!

There is actually a bill in the works in my state to do just that.

Hope it passes!:thumbsup:

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Seriously, I hate the time change. Put it on DST and leave it!

There is actually a bill in the works in my state to do just that.

Hope it passes!:thumbsup:
That would work okay in the South. Up here it ends up with the sun coming up at 10:30 and kids going to school in the dark.

Leave it on standard time is what I long for.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I despise it. Wake up wrong time, ready for sleep wrong time, hungry wrong times. Can't change the time when people start things so just tell them it's a different time than really it is?

Oh yeah and break out owner's manuals to set clocks in vehicles.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
It has its serious disadvantages. But they are mitigated by a culture that pays little attention to clock time except for government offices and railroads.

Tapatalk!

PetrosA

A lot of people I've talked to have commented that they have a harder time with the spring change since the date was changed about 10-12 years ago. Europe will change at the end of the month and I seem to remember we all used to change within a week of each other. Maybe now it's just too early in the year, especially after such a long winter?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Well there is time and then there is time.

Hey kids, time for bed, it's eight o'clock.

Hey kids it's time for bed, soon, right away, now actually. Get you pj's on....no you don't need to to brush your teeth, me and mom have some stuff to talk about as soon as you get tucked in..... GO TO SLEEP....yes I will bring a you a glass of water, will you please go to sleep...

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

my motivation level has been off for a long time. has little to do with dst. :)

ceknight

...Europe will change at the end of the month and I seem to remember we all used to change within a week of each other....

I had the um...."joy" of experiencing both a few years back. Flew to France on the day we set our clocks forward, and flew home on the day France did. Didn't affect our various transports, but it certainly messed with our heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.