Who is responsible for installing seismic wires for troffers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I would rather stay home and collect a check for doing nothing. :D

Let me ask this, 2x2 and 2x4 fixtures drop into the grid and take the place of ceiling tiles. That being the case shouldn't the ceiling guy have to unbox and place them into the grid?
I'm with iwire on that one, but yeah I'd rather have the ceiling guy do it. I heard one guy tell the electrician that he would do it for $5 a wire. For a minute I thought about quitting my job and buying a pole.:happyyes:

buzzbar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I would rather stay home and collect a check for doing nothing. :D

Let me ask this, 2x2 and 2x4 fixtures drop into the grid and take the place of ceiling tiles. That being the case shouldn't the ceiling guy have to unbox and place them into the grid?
So what you're saying is that you'd rather install the grid wires based on principal? The way I see it, you install the grid wires for three (3) possible reasons:
  1. You don't want a 'non electrician' installing something that could potentially support your light fixtures (although, these wires only come in to play if the ceiling grid collapses).
  2. You want to make money on this work (I certainly understand making money).
  3. You enjoy installing seismic wires (hey, I see a certain Zen-like situation here. Get lost in the jungle of grid wires, and all of your cares dissolve away).

I'm sure I can think of more reasons. But I can also think of more reasons NOT to do it. I just don't understand why you would fight for this work. But please, educate me.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Like I always say, it didn't require any extra wires until you put the fixtures up there, so why should the ceiling installer be responsible?

Because its on the ceiling plan.
We have always had the T-bar guys install the wires. I have the tool for the ones they forget.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Just out of curiosity do you put the required separate wires to support your mc/flex to the fixtures or do you try to get the ceiling contractor to do that too?

sparky=t

By the looks of it and I have over looked it the only way the troffers could only be attached to the grid without independent support would be by exception, however it does seem to contradict independent when we secure the fixtures to the grid.

Status
Not open for further replies.