disconnecting means

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to move power for an AC condenser. Homeowner had his AC by the back door and moved it around the corner. AC company hired me. I ran conduit underground from new AC location to existing disconnect. The disconnect is about 45 feet away, not line of sight. The disconnect is pull handle type. I figure since you can pull the disconnect handle out and take it with you it should be good even though Code says it must be lockable to be out of sight. I feel like its better than a breaker lock the way I did it, and if you walk away with the disconnect handle the circuit is essentially locked open. Do you guys think this would fail inspection? AC guy is not happy.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
You probably still have the chance to lock the disconnect with the tab at the bottom of the cover. Yet I have to check the code book on distance limitations.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
440.14 is pretty clear. With some exceptions, which your install does not seem to meet,
the disconnect must be "in sight from and readily accessible".
In this area not only might the A/C guy not be agreeable with your logic, the inspector definitely would not be.

440.14 is pretty clear. With some exceptions, which your install does not seem to meet,
the disconnect must be "in sight from and readily accessible".
In this area not only might the A/C guy not be agreeable with your logic, the inspector definitely would not be.
Ah, this is the right answer. Motor driven appliances more than 1/8 hp and AC/refrigerators must be line of sight.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I had to move power for an AC condenser. Homeowner had his AC by the back door and moved it around the corner. AC company hired me. I ran conduit underground from new AC location to existing disconnect. The disconnect is about 45 feet away, not line of sight. The disconnect is pull handle type. I figure since you can pull the disconnect handle out and take it with you it should be good even though Code says it must be lockable to be out of sight. I feel like its better than a breaker lock the way I did it, and if you walk away with the disconnect handle the circuit is essentially locked open. Do you guys think this would fail inspection? AC guy is not happy.

440-14 says it would not pass inspection.

Status
Not open for further replies.