Looking for code reference

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello to the forum I've been away for awhile and I am looking for a code reference.

I'm looking to find references that speak about whole box is approximately every 100 feet mounted in ridgid or EMT. is it a requirement of the code or just a good common practice

iwire

Staff member
hello to the forum I've been away for awhile and I am looking for a code reference.

I'm looking to find references that speak about whole box is approximately every 100 feet mounted in ridgid or EMT. is it a requirement of the code or just a good common practice

Not an NEC rule at all, we commonly exceed 100' in large buildings and parking lots. I have run 3" EMT about 600' without any boxes. I split an expansion fitting in the middle of the run, fished both ways with two 200' snakes to get a pull string in, followed by a rope followed by a much larger rope.

It may be in some specifications and if you are installing conduits for data the specs may require a box at X number of feet and limit you to just 180 degrees of bends between boxes.

Last edited:

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........

The only limit on length of conduit runs per the NEC is that you are limited to 360 degrees of bends.
358.26 2008 NEC

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Not an NEC rule at all, we commonly exceed 100' in large buildings and parking lots. I have run 3" EMT about 600' without any boxes. I split an expansion fitting in the middle of the run, fished both ways with two 200' snakes to get a pull string in, followed by a rope followed by a much larger rope.

It may be in some specifications and if you are installing conduits for data the specs may require a box at X number of feet and limit you to just 180 degrees of bends between boxes.

Just curious, how did you fish 600' of pipe with 400' of fish tape? Even with access at the middle (300') you still come up short.

THANK YOU

THANK YOU

thank you I knew I was right I need to trust my instincts more often when I couldn't find it in the code I should have trusted that you guys are great I appreciate it:)

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Depending on what he is doing with the expansion fitting, there may be a 300.18 violation.
As long as he puts the joint back together while all he has in the pipe is his pull rope, he should be OK, yes?
Barring any issues with securing/supporting the joint....

Tapatalk!

cowboyjwc

Staff member
He said split, he didn't say take apart.:happyno: Take apart, I don't have such a problem with. Split to me means something different for anyone who has had to repair a broken line and didn't want to pull the wire all the way out to repair it. I've heard.

joebell

Just curious, how did you fish 600' of pipe with 400' of fish tape? Even with access at the middle (300') you still come up short.

He said he used 2-200' fish tapes, he tied them together to have enough length. I do not see a violation of 300.18 if the raceway was complete before he isnatalled the conductors. the post mentions the "split was made to install the pullstring. I'm sure it was complete by the time the conductors were pulled in:thumbsup:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Maybe I am overlooking something obvious, but why an expansion fitting as opposed to a C-condulet?
Probably either because the thermal length change in the raceway over the temperature range required the expansion joint, or the expansion joint was installed at a structural expansion joint in the building.

Why not use a vacuum and a mouse with a pull string attached? JMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.