Flex and water pipes same stud space, legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing a my first kitchen remodel, (all industrial work before) opened up wall to find water pipes within 7" of proposed new (old work) outlet. Is this OK with NEC? Same stud space, running flex not Romex... 100 year old Colonial, no fire stops...

cowboyjwc

Staff member
110.14. While this talks about connections, you will have the same issues if you combine flex and copper plumbing pipe. Especially if it aluminum conduit.

110.14. While this talks about connections, you will have the same issues if you combine flex and copper plumbing pipe. Especially if it aluminum conduit.

I agree regarding the negative results and while it's definitely good practice to keep them separate, 110.14 references conductors and (as you said) connections. It's a huge reach to apply it to metallic sheathing and a (copper) water pipe. I am no code guru. I wonder if there is another section that would prohibit it. Maybe a building code or a plumbing code?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I believe it is a plumbing code. Sometimes you will see where copper pipe comes into contact with another material, the plumber installs a piece of rubber or cloth between the two pipes.

If my conduit or flex do come into contact with copper pipes, I will wrap one of them with rubber tape the finish it with electrical tape.

iwire

Staff member

"Talks about" is not the same as prohibiting.

I see no NEC restriction prohibiting FMC from contacting a copper water line.

ritelec

"Talk about"

Pop music....pop pop ... pop music...

thanks gents, did some crazy fishing last summer with some mc in a closed ceiling with copper in it (Heating).....so guess I'll be thinking about it as my head hits the pillow tonight.

:happysad:

kwired

Electron manager
I agree regarding the negative results and while it's definitely good practice to keep them separate, 110.14 references conductors and (as you said) connections. It's a huge reach to apply it to metallic sheathing and a (copper) water pipe. I am no code guru. I wonder if there is another section that would prohibit it. Maybe a building code or a plumbing code?
I have to side with you on this. Not the same thing discussed in 110.14 IMO, this is more of an incidental contact then a connection, and is definitely not "conductors".

That said there very well may be something in plumbing codes that prohibits this.

mwm1752

Maybe you could work with workmanship installation & common sense not to purposely have dissimilar metals making contact -- I 'll research further.

mwm1752

300.6(A) could be interpreted as protecting the system from corrosion and when dissimilar metals are touching the protection must be in place. 342.14, 344.14, 358.12 specifically address the issue for the specific raceway. As to pertain to flex maybe 348.(12)(7) protection from physical damage may come into play as the corrosive action from dissimilar metals is physical damage. ---- I was forced to exit the box on this one ----

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Well go ahead and have them touch, it'll never really make any difference to the electrician if it rots a hole in the flex, but when it rots a whole in the water pipe, it'll be a different issue.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
2012 IPC
305.1 Corrosion.
Pipes passing through concrete or cinder walls and floors or other corrosive material shall be protected against external corrosion by a protective sheathing or wrapping or other means that will withstand any reaction from the lime and acid of concrete, cinder or other corrosive material. Sheathing or wrapping shall allow for movement including expansion and contraction of piping. The wall thickness of the material shall be not less than 0.025 inch (0.64 mm).

darekelec

I'm not sure you found a big enough picture of a roll of duct tape to make your point.

I did not mean to make the picture soooo big. Adding attachments to posts is not mastered on forum and I did not figure out how to adjust it.
Definitely I would like to start a new movement of 'duct tape society'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.