Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Appears the answer would be 'no'
(Can be used for a service..go figure)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I didn't think to look in the "tap" rules for a question about "taps":)...thanks.
240.21(B)(1)(3)(3) Except at the point of connection to the feeder, the tap conductors are enclosed in a raceway, which extends from the tap to the enclosure of an enclosed switchboard, switchgear, a panelboard, or control devices, or to the back of an open switchboard.

darekelec

watch out for the size of your grounding electrode conductor inside MC cable when using as feeder taps. It should be sized according to OCPD ahead from your connection and table 250.122.
Most likely green wire is gonna be too small:ashamed:

Canton

Occupation
Electrician
watch out for the size of your grounding electrode conductor inside MC cable when using as feeder taps. It should be sized according to OCPD ahead from your connection and table 250.122.
Most likely green wire is gonna be too small:ashamed:

Equipment Grounding Conductor....but we know what you meant...:)

darekelec

Feeder Taps...

Yeah..... I was learning about GEC recently a lot... After 10 years of working in trade now I can ground service thank to Mike Holt and wonderful members of this forum.
And even size EGC :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bob

240.21 B 1

there is no rule to my knowledge that says you cant specifically use MC as a tap conductor. It just cant be used as a tap that is 10' or less....

Why would you have a rule like this? It is ok for a 10 ft tap but not for a 9 ft tap. What gives?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Without studying years of ROPs, I can only assume the logic relates to the fact that a 10 ft or shorter tap can be 1/10 the ampacity of the OCP device protecting it and the CMP wanted to provide as much assurance as possible that it would be well protected and less likely to short than a tap run as an MC cable.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Actually, its not an absolute no. It's only no under the conditions for not over 10' taps.

You can technically install a not over 10' tap under any of the other tap rules provided it meets the conditions of those rules. For example a 9' tap can be a "Taps Not over 7.5 m (25 ft) Long".

RUWired

It appears 240.21(C)2(3) also requires secondary transformer conductors not over 10' to be enclosed in a raceway.

Actually, its not an absolute no. It's only no under the conditions for not over 10' taps.

You can technically install a not over 10' tap under any of the other tap rules provided it meets the conditions of those rules. For example a 9' tap can be a "Taps Not over 7.5 m (25 ft) Long".
good point, never thought of it that way. It doesn't say "taps between 10 and 25 feet"

Pharon

good point, never thought of it that way. It doesn't say "taps between 10 and 25 feet"
But it does say that taps not over 25' need to be protected from physical damage. I think that eliminates MC as a potential candidate, doesn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.