Joist Mate for working in attics - prevents falling thru ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

renosteinke

Nice idea - maybe I should have sought a patent for my solution!

For the past dozen years, I have carried several pieces of plywood for this purpose. Each is cut to 32" x 24" so it will bridge most any joist spacing. Plywood is from 1/2" to 5/8" thick; better quality plywood can be thinner. I round the edges to reduce splinters, and paint them some light, unpopular color. The paint proved necessary to prevent theft / re-tasking of the boards. I typically take three into the attic with me.

These boards have also proven useful in soft, rocky, or muddy crawl spaces.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I like how you paint an unpopular color. On a related note, I have a kneeling pad of closed cell foam, one at work and one at home, I use it all the time. Cost about $20.00

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I like how you paint an unpopular color. On a related note, I have a kneeling pad of closed cell foam, one at work and one at home, I use it all the time. Cost about $20.00

That's the one bad thing about the Attic Dek. It has a kind of open waffle surface and it's a killer on the knees. I have a couple of old moving boxes, the ones used for packing up clothes on hangers, that I folded flat and dropped on top of the Attic Dek. Sweet relief!

Plywood and kneepads (here come the jokers comments :)) for me.

I've been wearing the kneepads anytime there's a chance I may have to kneel down on a job, whether it's installing receptacles or assembling fan blades or whatever. Been doing it for years...ever since they started bothering me...has saved me from much pain.

iwire

Staff member
Nice idea - maybe I should have sought a patent for my solution!

:D

When I watched the video the first thing that came to mind was these folks have figured out how to patent a scrap of plywood.

For the past dozen years, I have carried several pieces of plywood for this purpose. Each is cut to 32" x 24" so it will bridge most any joist spacing.

I have three pieces of plywood with me, normally they are keeping the shelves of the van closed up. They are only on with bungee cords. But if I need them for other uses I can just grab them out.

The ones in the video look too big to me, many times things are in the way for a large square like that.

Besides ....... the carry strap makes it look like a purse.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I used to keep a few shelving boards on the truck, 1x6x4 feet or so.

kwired

Electron manager
I couldn't even guess with any accuracy how many scuttle holes I have passed through that that thing will not fit through, doesn't help much if it can't get to the needed location:roll:

jrannis

I have worked in attics for 40 years and never fell thru-- I agree with Bob- they markets a piece of plywood.

I was thinking of how fun it would be to drag 10 of those into an attic to walk around up there.
If I had to be in one place for a while and make up some splices or to take a nap, I would find something to span the joists

Buck Parrish

Stepping from joists to joists. My helper would still fall through while holding a couple of these under his arm to get to the work location.:lol:

jrannis

I was in an attic and just so happens that below the drywall was a 30' drop. I was very careful that day, kinda scary too.
I remember working with a young skinny kid back in the early 80s. He would get all of the attic work. Then one day it happened, he fell completely through the drywall ceiling and landed in an occupied stall in the ladies room. No one was hurt but, that is a day those two will never forget.

hornetd

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician, Retired
I didn't even have to fall in.

I didn't even have to fall in.

I was in an attic and just so happens that below the drywall was a 30' drop. I was very careful that day, kinda scary too.
I remember working with a young skinny kid back in the early 80s. He would get all of the attic work. Then one day it happened, he fell completely through the drywall ceiling and landed in an occupied stall in the ladies room. No one was hurt but, that is a day those two will never forget.

I will never forget working in the ceiling of a Women's locker room at a health club. I posted signs at both doors, chocked the doors open, and set up the "Restroom being serviced" pylons from the janitors closet. The women still used the room like I wasn't even there. Even my shower stall singing voice didn't deter them. All that in spite of the fact that the employees locker room had been set up for their use. I was so concerned about getting accused of misconduct that I finally removed the shower heads and covered the toilet bowls with trash bags. That resulted in a PLUMBERS LOCAL 5 complaint to Local 26 of the Electrical Workers that I was invading their work. Yah cant win for loosing.

--
Tom

kwired

Electron manager
I will never forget working in the ceiling of a Women's locker room at a health club. I posted signs at both doors, chocked the doors open, and set up the "Restroom being serviced" pylons from the janitors closet. The women still used the room like I wasn't even there. Even my shower stall singing voice didn't deter them. All that in spite of the fact that the employees locker room had been set up for their use. I was so concerned about getting accused of misconduct that I finally removed the shower heads and covered the toilet bowls with trash bags. That resulted in a PLUMBERS LOCAL 5 complaint to Local 26 of the Electrical Workers that I was invading their work. Yah cant win for loosing.

--
Tom
I guess you should have killed the lights instead and worked with a flashlight, but something tells me that wouldn't have stopped some of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.