Arc fault receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaffen99

I am doing an apartment renovation in a 50 year old building. My scope calls for outlet replacement, are arc fault outlets required? The existing wiring is all BX with metal boxes. If I install at the first outlet and it doesn't hold, then what? Do I change them all to arc fault at $25.00 each? I have seen a lot of talk about it, but am just putting another example out to ponder.
Thanks

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Arc fault receptacles that protect only the individual outlet do not make much sense.
A GFCI primarily protects against faults in what is plugged in, while AFCI is intended primarily to protect wires, hence all of the code conditions about it being the first outlet downstream of the panel, with appropriate wiring to that point.
Or else being the upstream outlet entering the protected area.

BTW, I think (hope) your contract just calls for receptacle replacement.
We try to be careful about that in posts. :)

Tapatalk!

fmtjfw

As of 1 Jan 2014 NEC 2011 and 2014 require an AFCI protected replacement receptacle wherever a receptacle is in a location / use required by the current code.

If it is on the list of required locations then the replacement is to be protected.

By the way, replacement receptacles in locations requiring tamper resistant, weather resistant, and/or GFCI need also to be protected according to their requirements.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
All receptacles must be AFCI protected, but that protection does not have to be part of the receptacle. It can be upstream, yes?

Tapatalk!

fmtjfw

AFCI protection is like GFCI protection, either the device itself or an upstream device or a Circuit Breaker with the added protection.

AFCI protection makes most sense at the Circuit Breaker, as you are trying to protect the entire branch circuit.

fmtjfw

If your scope of work is outlet replacement then that includes all location that power is made available, hard wired appliances and lighting fixtures.

That is assuming the contract is using NEC definitions.

Common use assigns "outlet" to what the NEC calls "receptacle".

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
My scope calls for outlet replacement, are arc fault outlets required?
If the job is in a jurisdiction that is under the 2008 NEC, no. 2011 NEC, yes. 2014 NEC, maybe. A new 2014 exception has been added to 210.12(B) that is invoked by 406.4(D)(4) and the broad "as specified elsewhere in this Code." The 210.12(B) Exception relieves the AFCI requirement if the "conductors are extended less than six feet". With this wording, the "extension" of conductors done by adding pigtails at the receptacle outlet can't be excluded from the exception, IMHO.
The existing wiring is all BX with metal boxes. If I install at the first outlet and it doesn't hold, then what? Do I change them all to arc fault at $25.00 each?
If the existing BX branch circuit won't hold an OBC AFCI (with load side connections) at all, and troubleshooting doesn't immediately find an obvious wiring error, I'd be inclined to do the rest of the receptacle replacements on that branch circuit all with the OBC AFCI, rather that replace the BX itself.

A side question, about the BX, what generation of BX is it? Does it have plastic or rubber insulated conductors? Is there evidence of the sheath bonding conductor? Will you use the metal sheath as the EGC?

kwired

Electron manager
Guess who is going to be doing the jobs like the OP has with these requirements? Not competent EC's that are trying to do it right - because some handyman that doesn't now the code will be much less cost.

Is all the more incentive to me to try to stay out of residential work as much as possible. Not many are going to be happy with a $500 dollar bill when all I did was change a few receptacles and only spent an hour or so on site, and you can show them the rules if you want, all they see is your $500 bill.

Canton

Occupation
Electrician
Guess who is going to be doing the jobs like the OP has with these requirements? Not competent EC's that are trying to do it right - because some handyman that doesn't now the code will be much less cost.

Is all the more incentive to me to try to stay out of residential work as much as possible. Not many are going to be happy with a $500 dollar bill when all I did was change a few receptacles and only spent an hour or so on site, and you can show them the rules if you want, all they see is your $500 bill.

you could not have said that better....:thumbsup:

HackElectric

Gaffen99, AFCI's aren't required. Most of the responders in this thread probably aren't aware of the NJ Rehab Sub-Code.

HackElectric

Hax, does that code include new construction or just remodel jobs?
The Rehab Sub-Code is only for existing work.

But for what it's worth, if adding something new to an existing house, you would have to use AFCI's.

So during a remodel, if you are replacing receptacles that were there, you don't need AFCI's. But if you are adding new ones, you need AFCI's.

Same thing with service work. If I go in and replace receptacles like the OP is doing, no AFCI's. But if I snake in a new receptacle, it needs an AFCI.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The Rehab Sub-Code is only for existing work.

But for what it's worth, if adding something new to an existing house, you would have to use AFCI's.

So during a remodel, if you are replacing receptacles that were there, you don't need AFCI's. But if you are adding new ones, you need AFCI's.

Same thing with service work. If I go in and replace receptacles like the OP is doing, no AFCI's. But if I snake in a new receptacle, it needs an AFCI.

Thank you-- similar to the way it was before in the nec. Add new wiring and afci was needed

Status
Not open for further replies.