Grounding and a Mulberry cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

HackElectric

So let's say you have a 1900 box attached to a panel with a typical metal offset nipple. The box is now bonded.

You nut & bolt a GFCI to this type of cover and install it on the 1900 box:

xkrvp1.jpg

Since the corners are flattened, you don't need an EGC running to the GFCI, is that correct?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
So let's say you have a 1900 box attached to a panel with a typical metal offset nipple. The box is now bonded.

xkrvp1.jpg

Since the corners are flattened, you don't need an EGC running to the GFCI, is that correct?

Yes. That said, I've encountered many who think otherwise.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Sometimes from one graphic to the next in the same book. Still trying to figure that one out...

Attachments

• no.jpg
    no.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 1
  • yes.jpg
    yes.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 1

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer

xkrvp1.jpg

Required by code or not, I think a grounding jumper is a good idea and I always install one. How many receptacles have you seen that end up loose on the cover? How many times have you seen a loose cover? Maintaining ground continuity is always a good idea.

SceneryDriver

HackElectric

Required by code or not, I think a grounding jumper is a good idea and I always install one. How many receptacles have you seen that end up loose on the cover? How many times have you seen a loose cover? Maintaining ground continuity is always a good idea.

SceneryDriver
There's always one :lol:

John120/240

SceneryDriver

There's always one :lol:

Going above & beyond code is not a sin. For the minimal labor & material involved if it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling do it. I am on both sides of this fence.

HackElectric

Going above & beyond code is not a sin. For the minimal labor & material involved if it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling do it. I am on both sides of this fence.

You should upsize it to a #8, just to be sure :bye:

This question isn't about warm and fuzzy feelings, it's about code.

kwired

Electron manager
You should upsize it to a #8, just to be sure :bye:

This question isn't about warm and fuzzy feelings, it's about code.

Which of course the EGC terminal of the receptacle will not accept a #8 and we will have to jerry rig something to make it work leading to more questionable installation methods.:)

HackElectric

I think we should just tack weld the receptacle to the cover plate and the cover plate to the box, this way we don't have to worry about all the screws coming loose and ruining our ground continuity.

kwired

Electron manager
I think we should just tack weld the receptacle to the cover plate and the cover plate to the box, this way we don't have to worry about all the screws coming loose and ruining our ground continuity.
If they are a little loose the first ground fault encountered may weld it for us, just make sure to use FPE breakers to help ensure it doesn't trip too soon :)

HackElectric

So to bring this back to the topic, I don't buy into the whole running of a copper EGC thing. The only reason a mulberry cover is going to come loose is because it was installed wrong, which I (or my employee) isn't going to do. If we were in the habit of installing cover plates incorrectly, then we could also install copper EGC's incorrectly, whether it be at the device screw, at the box screw, or at the wirenut splice.

So barring whether it makes you feel better, is there a definitive answer on whether it is code compliant to not run a copper AGC to the device in the situation described? What George Stolz posted seems to say that it goes both ways.

John120/240

So barring whether it makes you feel better, is there a definitive answer on whether it is code compliant to not run a copper AGC to the device in the situation described? What George Stolz posted seems to say that it goes both ways.

It is NEC code acceptable to use the metallic conduit as your EGC.
It is NEC code acceptable to go above and beyond NEC code and install a wire type EGC of the appropriate size.
Do whatever floats your boat.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
What George Stolz posted seems to say that it goes both ways.

That was a Delmar/Cengage set that I use for class, and the pair spanned at least a couple editions. I can't make heads or tails of the graphics, to be honest.

I believe Holt's material (and the NEC itself) favor the idea that it is compliant.

HackElectric

It is NEC code acceptable to go above and beyond NEC code and install a wire type EGC of the appropriate size.
Do whatever floats your boat.
You just can't let it go, can you? :lol:

What you are doing here is the same thing as going into a thread in which someone is asking about running the proper wire size and badgering them that they should run a larger wire than required just because it makes you feel better.

Give it up already.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
That was a Delmar/Cengage set that I use for class, and the pair spanned at least a couple editions. I can't make heads or tails of the graphics, to be honest.

I believe Holt's material (and the NEC itself) favor the idea that it is compliant.

250.146(A) seems pretty clear, no? UL White Book says this is covered by EOYX, QCIT, RTRT, and WJQR.

Status
Not open for further replies.