Section 210.52

Status
Not open for further replies.

gimel

I was told that even with central air conditioning, each living space must have dedicated circuit for window air conditioner. Yet, when I read section 210.52 it states that with central a/c, separate outlets are not required. Can someone please clear this up for me?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As Dennis stated there is no such NEC requirement. NYC has a requirement for a separate circuit to each room for a window AC when there is no central air.

NYC 2011

SECTION 210.52
Subsection 210.52(I) ? Add a new subsection 210.52(I) to read as follows:
(I) Outlet Requirements For Residential-Type Occupancies. In addition to the requirements set forth
in subsections (A) through (H) of this section, living rooms, bedrooms, dining rooms or similar rooms
shall have at least one receptacle outlet installed for air conditioners. Such outlets shall be supplied by an
individual branch circuit.
Exception: Buildings with central air conditioning systems that serve any of the above areas shall not
require separate outlets in those areas.

gimel

As Dennis stated there is no such NEC requirement. NYC has a requirement for a separate circuit to each room for a window AC when there is no central air.

Thanks to you both for the replies. I can't imagine why I was given a different interpretation. Even after I cited section 210.52, I was told that there were other sections that cancelled out that direction and that I had better assure individual circuits for window A/C in each living area. The rationale given being that if the central A/C went down and someone wanted a short term fix by installing a window A/C unit, there was the jeopardy of overheating any other circuit that was used. Are there other sections that even mention this subject, that were being misinterpreted? I am really at a loss for an explanation of the different interpretation.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
sounds like you might getter better advice from the carpenter :D

Status
Not open for further replies.