Pole Mount Type Transformer Installation Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

CXB Electric

Hello All,

Kind of an odd situation I need some help on.

Is there anything inherently wrong with installing a pole mount type tranformer on the floor within an electrical vault? We have a situation in which a customer scrounged up an old pole mount transformer to provide house power to his vault. It is sitting on the floor slab with no pad and no bracing. The bracing issue I'm sure is a violation and there are other problems as well, exposed lugs among others. I guess the question is if a transformer is intended (possibly, "Listed" by the NEC definition of Listed) as a pole mount type, is this type of installation allowed? I mean, I think it's ridiculous that they did this but I'm having trouble finding anything specific in the code to tell them it needs to be changed.

Thanks for any help that is offered.

meternerd

Occupation
retired water & electric utility electrician, meter/relay tech
They used to do services this way and the enclosures were called "Transclosures". After they've been sitting for years, the bushings become totally gunked up with dirt, spider webs and such. And if you have a car/enclosure collision, it gets ugly real fast. Most linemen hate 'em and we have gotten rid of all of ours.

CXB Electric

DOD facility where NEC rules are supposed to be followed.

Even though it's not in an earthquake prone area, I think depending only on gravity is a stupid way to go.

Anyway, even though it's in a controlled access location, this is an accident waiting to happen.

Thanks for your responses!

Status
Not open for further replies.