I want to upgrade my service, will 200 amps feed (3) 100 amp meters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zathius

Wire Connector
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Redwood City, CA

So I am buying a property that has a main house in front where the service overhead drop comes from, and (3) 30 amp meters, two of which feed underground to a duplex studio in the back, roughly a 120' run. I would like to do a 200 amp service upgrade, with (3) 100 amp meters/subs. This is my plan:

200 amp main disconnect feeding to 3 meter group service panel w/100 amp breakers.

One meter will stay at the house, I will set up a new distribution box(main lug) outside if there is room(Probably not), or on other side of wall.

The other two meters will go into a schedule 40, 1 1/2" conduit ran underground to back building feeding the two studios new distribution panels.

I will run 7 #2 THHN conductors, 4 hots, 2 neutrals, 1 ground (voltage drop shouldn't affect #2 at 120' for 100 amps?).

Of course 5/8 ground rod at both buildings, water and gas pipes bonded at water heaters, and city water pipe bonded with #4 bare solid.

My biggest question is can I get away with 200 amps feeding three 100 amp meter subs? all building are all gas appliances, main house is about 1200 square feet, and each studio is roughly 400 square feet. The only load that will be added will be recessed LED lighting and bringing all the kitchens and bathrooms up to code for circuits, no 220v circuits anywhere. This property all together won't come close to stressing a 200 amp service.

The only other choice I see is doing a 400 service, and that is a major overkill in my opinion. What do you guys think?

jumper

I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:

• Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals

* This NEC? Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.

Status
Not open for further replies.