Alcohol and company vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnettda

What are your company policy on drinking and driving in a company vehicle. After work hours have ended. I have two employes and one has a service van. Our shop is a garage behind the house. There are days when we stop back here to unload at the end of the day and have a couple beers when done. It's nice to sit down with everybody and talk. Am I wrong in letting my employee drive then
Today I saw my van after work at the local tavern. I did not like it. It is lettered and maybe I am over reacting but I do not think it is good advertising.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
You are not over reacting at all.

Can you imagine one of your guys drinks one beer and gets into an accident. They will blame the whole thing on him for DUI even though you may think "it is just one beer".

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
What are your company policy on drinking and driving in a company vehicle. After work hours have ended. I have two employes and one has a service van. Our shop is a garage behind the house. There are days when we stop back here to unload at the end of the day and have a couple beers when done. It's nice to sit down with everybody and talk. Am I wrong in letting my employee drive then
Today I saw my van after work at the local tavern. I did not like it. It is lettered and maybe I am over reacting but I do not think it is good advertising.

I would remind him of the drunk driving law, and remind him to know his limits and if he passes the limit to leave the truck where it is and contact you. Also a take home van is a privilege that can be revoked by you, making him bring the van back to the shop each night, like many firms do. A couple beers is really the limit, after that, no one should be driving.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
More of a chance that something will go wrong than a chance that nothing will. The risks of a catastrophe are not justified by whatever rewards you are currently reaping. Worst case scenario would have you responsible, your van, alcohol consumed at your shop.

I wonder if there is a graceful way to start a new policy? Maybe blame it on insurance company.

Then again I might be wrong.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
More of a chance that something will go wrong than a chance that nothing will. The risks of a catastrophe are not justified by whatever rewards you are currently reaping. Worst case scenario would have you responsible, your van, alcohol consumed at your shop.

I wonder if there is a graceful way to start a new policy? Maybe blame it on insurance company.

Then again I might be wrong.

I'm sure that is already in the policy.

RLyons

I have the privilege of being allowed to bring my work vehicle home. While I have no problem stopping at the market on the way home I would never drink and drive the company vehicle.

We had a office party at a bar setup during lunch on a working day....I went home and got my personal car and met everyone at the bar.

John120/240

That is advertising that you do not need. We used to hang out at the shop after hours. Drink one or two & discuss the days job. Those who drove a van home weren't in the clique.

ceb58

I have a question......... or two. Have you lost your mind? Are you looking to have you butt sued off?
Some think that drinking a beer or two and driving is no big deal. Let him get into a wreck. Then when he says the boss bought the beer and we were drinking at the shop the skies have just opened up for the liability.
As far as the van at a bar, you have set the example. The employee thinks now since you have no problem sitting around the shop drinking you should not have a problem with him stopping off at the local bar.
You need to rethink the drinking and driving policy.............. now.

normbac

I have a question......... or two. Have you lost your mind? Are you looking to have you butt sued off?
Some think that drinking a beer or two and driving is no big deal. Let him get into a wreck. Then when he says the boss bought the beer and we were drinking at the shop the skies have just opened up for the liability.
As far as the van at a bar, you have set the example. The employee thinks now since you have no problem sitting around the shop drinking you should not have a problem with him stopping off at the local bar.
Ditto this is good advise I am in shock that you don't see the liabilities that WILL come your way. your post itself is admissible in court. Aside from liabilities do you want your family on the road with intoxicated drivers next to them. You need an immediate letter sent to all employees signed by them stating termination is imminent for driving co. Vehicles intoxicated to partially cover yourself from huge punitive damages.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Way back when, worked at a shop where we regularly drank after work at the shop. WAY to much. Fun place to work. Had a ball. Lucky no one was killed. Looking back...stupid, stupid, stupid. As much as I would love to drink a beer after work with the guys and gal, it just isn't going to happen.

chris1971

Allowing your employees to drink after work and then drive home is a lawsuit in the making. I would end that practice ASAP. I would also have zero tolerance for having an employee use the company truck and stop at the tavern unless he's doing a service call at the tavern.

hurk27

It's not even a good idea to allow a worker to go to a job site after drinking one beer, someone who don't drink will smell it in a heart beat, not good P&R with customers.

I know in Georgia the courts used to hold the driver of a vehicle not the owner responsible at least back in the "70s" they did, my nephew wrecked my car in Atlanta, and they held him responsible for all cost, but not sure now days?

Here in Indiana they will come after the owner and driver in a heart beat.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Allowing your employees to drink after work and then drive home is a lawsuit in the making. I would end that practice ASAP. I would also have zero tolerance for having an employee use the company truck and stop at the tavern unless he's doing a service call at the tavern.

Way back when, worked at a shop where we regularly drank after work at the shop. WAY to much. Fun place to work. Had a ball. Lucky no one was killed. Looking back...stupid, stupid, stupid. As much as I would love to drink a beer after work with the guys and gal, it just isn't going to happen.

Ditto this is good advise I am in shock that you don't see the liabilities that WILL come your way. your post itself is admissible in court. Aside from liabilities do you want your family on the road with intoxicated drivers next to them. You need an immediate letter sent to all employees signed by them stating termination is imminent for driving co. Vehicles intoxicated to partially cover yourself from huge punitive damages.

Agreed!

You are crazy to allow this practice to continue.

Besoeker

I have the privilege of being allowed to bring my work vehicle home. While I have no problem stopping at the market on the way home I would never drink and drive the company vehicle.

We had a office party at a bar setup during lunch on a working day....I went home and got my personal car and met everyone at the bar.
But it's OK to drink and drive your personal vehicle????

iwire

Staff member
Not if the boss if supplying the beers. Then he is liable and will loose everything, including your job.

Whoosh.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.