Alcohol and company vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
OK, been up all night working and at 530 humor is hard to find. :)

As a guy that works nights and days in the same week I can totally understand that.

For the record I am against drinking and driving, I just found Besoeker's comment to be one looking for a fight. :D

Besoeker

As a guy that works nights and days in the same week I can totally understand that.

For the record I am against drinking and driving, I just found Besoeker's comment to be one looking for a fight. :D
You so misjudge me........

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Nothing good can come from allowing your employees to drink and than drive a company vehicle. I am less worried about the vehicle being seen at a bar now and then, but every night would be something else.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I am aware of a local contractor who saw one of his company's trucks parked at a bar and he called a tow and had the truck taken back to the shop, but he did not fire the employee.

north star

\ : \ : \

arnettda,

Suppose one of your employees that has had a few drinks,
gets in to an accident and kills one of your family members.
What then ? :weeping:

Step up, ...take initiative yourself [ i.e. - don't blame
anyone, including the insurance companies ] and end the
practice yesterday !.........Own the responsibility for this !

This kind of advertising is not ethical business practices,
and will only hurt you & your business..........It is also bad
stewardship of the resources that have been given to you.

/ : / : /

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
My company has a set of vehicles stored in the parking garage of this building. Any employee is allowed to check one out and drive it to a client's office or project site. But company policy was changed about a year ago. Now nobody is allowed to take a car home overnight, even if they have an early morning meeting at a project site. That project was instituted immediately after an employee was involved in a fatal accident while driving a company car that he had taken home. I do not know if alcohol was involved in that accident.

Lesson to be learned: Institute the correct policy before the accident happens.

If a company vehicle is involved in an accident, the lawsuit is absolutely going to involve the company whose name is written on the side.

kwired

Electron manager
You can leave your personal car there and take a cab home.
Can't do that with the company truck.....

Tapatalk!

My thoughts as well.

It is probably responsible to not let the employees drink at the shop before they leave for home, but at same time there is some good camaraderie that comes from this kind of activity making it somewhat a hard choice to make in a way. You could offer drinks as well as transportation home I guess if you wanted.

Then comes the issue of if you hosted a social gathering of employees, whether at your place of business, at a restaurant, bar, country club, etc. maybe even involving their families, may or may not be immediately after a work shift .... aren't you still sort of responsible for them?

To be on safe side I guess for such events you would need to provide transportation for them.

sparkyrick

What are your company policy on drinking and driving in a company vehicle. After work hours have ended. I have two employes and one has a service van. Our shop is a garage behind the house. There are days when we stop back here to unload at the end of the day and have a couple beers when done. It's nice to sit down with everybody and talk. Am I wrong in letting my employee drive then
Today I saw my van after work at the local tavern. I did not like it. It is lettered and maybe I am over reacting but I do not think it is good advertising.

My boss saw one of our lettered vans at a tavern after work (not mine :)). He went back to the office, grabbed the spare keys and with the assistance of his wife, they took the van back to the shop.

iwire

Staff member
My boss saw one of our lettered vans at a tavern after work (not mine :)). He went back to the office, grabbed the spare keys and with the assistance of his wife, they took the van back to the shop.

Unless he had made clear that was against the rules that was a scum bag move.

iwire

Staff member
Funny topic to talk about right now.

Odd for me but I am sitting in front of a slot machine at Foxwoods getting ripped on free drinks.

Maybe I should not have stopped here with the company truck.

RLyons

But it's OK to drink and drive your personal vehicle????

Not so much ok as more professional.

My boss would without a doubt provide rides for anyone who required one...I'm not going to try and justify "I know when to say when vs. am I leaving before .08 BAC"

What would be the estimated % of people leaving a bar/club that would be higher than %.08.....hmmmm, Maybe I'll stand outside with a breathalyzer and tell people I'm doing a study

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
What are your company policy on drinking and driving in a company vehicle. After work hours have ended. I have two employes and one has a service van. Our shop is a garage behind the house. There are days when we stop back here to unload at the end of the day and have a couple beers when done. It's nice to sit down with everybody and talk. Am I wrong in letting my employee drive then
Today I saw my van after work at the local tavern. I did not like it. It is lettered and maybe I am over reacting but I do not think it is good advertising.

since "back when".... there has been almost a complete reversal of drinking
in the workplace. along with everything else, for that matter.

when i was a first year apprentice, lassoing houses, lunch was a case of michelob,
lunch started when the case arrived, and ended when it was done.
there were four to six members of the crew, not counting me, as i didn't drink...
at the time.. my job was to go get the case at 11 am, sharp.

nobody got squat done after lunch.

moving a long a few years, i was working industrial at texaco refinery with a crew of boomers...
ten of us would get in the company van, leave thru
the tank farm, drive to a really fugly bar in wilmington, on PCH, and have lunch. for the
foreman, that would be two boilermakers, some pretzels, and a tall gin and tonic to go,
which he would drink while we careened back thru the tank farm, the goal being to throw
the empty glass at the same power pole in the farm, breaking it against the pole every day.
he seldom missed.

i was often the designated driver, which explained the careening portion of mr. toads wild ride.
i also wasn't drinking during that time, at least not at work.... and they didn't serve the flavor
of powdered alcohol that i was partial to at the bar we frequented.

none of this was unusual, for the time. it was also one of the best crews i've ever worked with,
as far as professional quality of work was concerned.

today? having ANY knowledge of an employee drinking, and permitting them to drive a
company vehicle..... all he needs is an accident, and your only question will be if the opposing
insurance companies legal council would prefer sand in the vasline, or the original smooth formula.

there are a number of non alcoholic beers on the market. pick a flavor, and put that, and cokes
in the ice box. continue with the chat session, minus the alcohol.

explain why to your guys. be honest. they will get it. explain that your general liability policy,
and therefore the liability insurance of your employees goes out the window if you permit drinking.
the insurance company will cancel and blacklist you on the private industry database the underwriters
maintain.

and without insurance, there is no beer money for any of you.

also explain that for your shop trucks to be sitting outside a restaurant is one thing, and sitting outside
a bar is another altogether.

no drinker likes to be told anything about his drinking. most will not stand for it.... but if you have a
heavy drinker running work for you, you might want to take a look at that.

every employer i've had in the last 15 years or so, if you get a deuce while in their employ, it's a
one man RIF.

i'm not saying drinking is wrong. far from it. but if someone can't wait till they get home before
dropping the hammer, it says something. i'm not talking about having a beer and driving. it's
legal until you blow .08 or so.

you just stand there naked legally if you know your guys are doing it, and you say nothing.

GUNNING

Here locally there was a plumber with a RotoRooter franchise that had a van involved after hours in a fatal accident. He got sued for 1.25 million dollars and lost his franchise. He had a million dollar insurance policy. His guy was drunk. It was the $250k over the insurance settlement that shut him down.

iwire

Staff member
Let me guess, Triple Diamond or Blazing 7's. ;)

Sevens something. :p

My wife and I got here before 11AM and started drinking pretty much right away. ( I was kidding about the company truck)

I don't drink often but when I do I want to get a good buzz on. That being the case the only responsible thing to is go where I can park the car and have fun on foot.

As far as the OP, I have had a company truck about 20 years total and would never park it at a bar. I don't drink if I have to drive their truck.

At Christmas we had a get together and while the bosses would have bought us drinks I am proud to say all of us there in the company trucks refused to drink even when told 'It was OK to have one or two'.

I once T-boned a car with a company truck and the first things the other driver had to say where about the company and if I worked for them. He obviously was thinking lawsuit. It did not work out for him, he was cited for cutting me off. If I had beer breath I doubt that would have gone unnoticed by the cop or the driver.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.