temporary lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

keith gigabyte

New construction temporary lighting is not an issue for me. What I'm looking for is ideas/suggestions on how you do this. Once rough framing is up and they want to start drywall they always want some lights working. Here's how I do it...when roughing in I try to hit each room or rooms/halls first switch then put in a temp outlet there and jump switch leg to that outlet. Usually that give me enough light and then off and on with breaker. Any other ideas?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
What type of construction are we talking about? Residential, commercial, industrial... and more specifically wall and ceiling (structural and finished) detail.

How you do it somewhat depends on how much work is being done prior to drywall...

It's been quite a while since I did any resi', but you want electrical roughed in before drywall goes up, right? There's nothing that prevents you from using that wiring for temporary lighting and power.

normbac

for light commercial indoor I use a Spider box and festoon with flourescent bulbs generals I work for want temp in bid If temp pole is needed General handles it.

keith gigabyte

Thanks for the input. I was referring to residential rehab construction and I just wanted ideas..The way I do it now home run from switch box then install outlet and jump overhead light/lights wiring to that seems to be most cost effective and fastest.

iwire

Staff member
Thanks for the input. I was referring to residential rehab construction and I just wanted ideas..The way I do it now home run from switch box then install outlet and jump overhead light/lights wiring to that seems to be most cost effective and fastest.

It sounds like a direct violtion of 590.4(D)

(D) Receptacles. All receptacles shall be of the grounding type. Unless installed in a continuous metal raceway that qualifies as an equipment grounding conductor in accor-dance with 250.118 or a continuous metal-covered cable that qualifies as an equipment grounding conductor in ac-cordance with 250.118, all branch circuits shall include a separate equipment grounding conductor, and all recep-tacles shall be electrically connected to the equipment grounding conductor(s). Receptacles on construction sites shall not be installed on branch circuits that supply tempo-rary lighting. Receptacles shall not be connected to the same ungrounded conductor of multiwire circuits that sup-ply temporary lighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.