fixing height issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

keith gigabyte

Ok..First off I'm sure I deserve all the smart comments this will bring. buutt..

Doing a remodel on a kitchen. Measured up from floor for counter outlet heights. Roughed in 6 or 8 device boxes for outlets and switches. Drywallers came and went. Obviously I assumed one thing...floor was LEVEL.. well ends up they are uneven anywhere from 1/4" to 1 1/2". Any ideas how to fix this? I think I will cut out the new work boxes and install smartboxes then let the drywallers patch anything I mess up. Any other ideas?

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician
Ok..First off I'm sure I deserve all the smart comments this will bring. buutt..

Doing a remodel on a kitchen. Measured up from floor for counter outlet heights. Roughed in 6 or 8 device boxes for outlets and switches. Drywallers came and went. Obviously I assumed one thing...floor was LEVEL.. well ends up they are uneven anywhere from 1/4" to 1 1/2". Any ideas how to fix this? I think I will cut out the new work boxes and install smartboxes then let the drywallers patch anything I mess up. Any other ideas?

IMHO as long as you meet 210.52C your ok... :) You could wait for cabinet guys and match their install...

sparkyrick

Cut the boxes free with a Sawzall, move the boxes up/down where they need to be, re-secure with construction screws through the inside of the box, then ask the homeowner what color tile backsplash they would like :)

growler

Doing a remodel on a kitchen. Obviously I assumed one thing...floor was LEVEL.. well ends up they are uneven anywhere from 1/4" to 1 1/2".

Not really a smart comment but a question.

Are they going to leave the floor that much out of level? 1 1/2" is pretty noticeable.
Maybe they have spent a life at sea and it won't bother them so much.

John120/240

IMHO as long as you meet 210.52C your ok... :) You could wait for cabinet guys and match their install...

Make sure the tile grout line follows your box heights...

Seriously you have the right idea. Do all of your wires come from the same direction, either from the top or bottom of the box ? If so I would move in the direction that has the most wire length.

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician
Make sure the tile grout line follows your box heights...

Seriously you have the right idea. Do all of your wires come from the same direction, either from the top or bottom of the box ? If so I would move in the direction that has the most wire length.

this is all about having the appearance or level... I am sure several solutions exist for this issue... :D

Last edited:

growler

Doing a remodel on a kitchen. Measured up from floor for counter outlet heights. Roughed in 6 or 8 device boxes for outlets and switches. Drywallers came and went. Obviously I assumed one thing...floor was LEVEL.. well ends up they are uneven anywhere from 1/4 -1 1/2"

Anything that you do right now may be wrong. Talk to the remodeler or owner.

Is the floor out of level or is this part of the house out of level. The place may just need to be jacked back to level and shims placed to keep it level.

keith gigabyte

I'm just the electrician..leveling floor is up to someone else. Moving boxes to level is so looks good with counter. Thanks for ideas but wouldnt using existing plastic boxes with new screws from insinside violate label and listing of nail on PVC device box. I'm going to cut the nails and replace with smart boxes..tile should cover boo-boo

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We always set counter top boxes with a laser. Nothing looks more unsightly than the grout seams on the backsplash running straight into uneven receptacles.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Before you do anything check with the GC and homeowner to find out the what height they want the devices to be mounted above the counter. Get access to a laser level or good four foot level and carry that line around the walls that the devices are on. Find the highest point on the floor and work from that (the highest point is closest to the level line). From that point is where the cabinet installers usually base the height of the cabinets. Then do what ever method you find works best for you to remove, adjust and mount your boxes.
Good luck!

sparkyrick

We always set counter top boxes with a laser. Nothing looks more unsightly than the grout seams on the backsplash running straight into uneven receptacles.
Yup, same here. Kitchen, break room, lab....anywhere there are many recepts close to each other and a counter of some type.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm just the electrician..leveling floor is up to someone else. Moving boxes to level is so looks good with counter. Thanks for ideas but wouldnt using existing plastic boxes with new screws from insinside violate label and listing of nail on PVC device box. I'm going to cut the nails and replace with smart boxes..tile should cover boo-boo

I agree, it is not your job to level the floor (I'm sure you said tat in jest) but it is your duty to get all the information you need to get the job done in neat and professional manor.;)

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
Cut the boxes free with a Sawzall, move the boxes up/down where they need to be, re-secure with construction screws through the inside of the box, then ask the homeowner what color tile backsplash they would like :)

@sparkyrick

The OP stated that he installed work boxes then later stated new work boxes. So considering I have not been in the field (getting my hands dirty) for many years as my time has been spent actually working in the code books (various). Are we assuming the device boxes are metal or plastic at this point. If they are plastic which may be a stretch since it is a remodel...just wanted to mention that it would not be acceptable to take plastic nail-on device boxes (if used) and secure them back by installing construction screws through the inside of the box....as that is not how they are identified to be installed but if metal indeed that would be a good fix.

With that said I am more than sure you knew this and figured the boxes were metal....I did not assume this probably due to my being out of the "weeds" for so many years that my hands get blisters just thinking about it.

growler

I'm just the electrician..leveling floor is up to someone else. Moving boxes to level is so looks good with counter.

Wouldn't even suggest that leveling the floor is the electrician's responsibility.

If the floor is 1 1/2" out of level then someone (builder, GC, owner ) should look into the problem before anyone else to include the cabinet installers do anything.

If you all level your work and then they decide to level the room this will ruin all your efforts.

iwire

Staff member
Growler I am usually with you but on this one I am with the others, find the high spot set the boxes level from that point. With the low cost of rotary lasers this should standard procedure. Just as the cabinet installers would do.

If the owner decides to level the floor later my outlets will still be level. :)

growler

Growler I am usually with you but on this one I am with the others, find the high spot set the boxes level from that point. With the low cost of rotary lasers this should standard procedure.

Iwire I do understand where you guys are comming from. If you look at this as only an electrical problem the fix is simple and easy.

edlee

what is a smart box?

My 2 cents, can't imagine thinking of not putting the boxes in level. I would slice the nails, move the boxes into level, and put drywall screws in through the inside. No code against it.

keith gigabyte

As previous post of mine..I will not be screwing side of existing plastic new work boxes..violates label and listing in my opinion..these boxes were designed to be nailed to stud with nails and integrated plastic brackets not hacked off and reused. the smart box is a new/old work box that fastens from inside the box..google it.. I'm big on using something as labeled and listed.. Yea its a remodel but we took it down to bare studs so its somewhat new work i guess you could say. My mistake not using laser..just thought it would be ok to measure from floor..
All will be good after i cut the nails, remove the new work boxes and reinstall smart boxes. Only reason not to use metal old works with clips is..anyone who has done renovations know the new work boxes are higher than most old works, resulting in difficulty having upper and lower lips catching any drywall to prevent falling in wall.

kwired

Electron manager
Anything that you do right now may be wrong. Talk to the remodeler or owner.

Is the floor out of level or is this part of the house out of level. The place may just need to be jacked back to level and shims placed to keep it level.
And jacking/shimming should have taken place before drywall was installed. It likely will need repaired afterward if that is what will happen.

Chances are floor will be shimmed to level it and new subflooring installed. At very least cabinet installer will most likely shim their cabinets so they are level.

With that kind of slope maybe that room was once an old porch and intentionally had slope to drain any water??

Status
Not open for further replies.