fixing height issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

growler

And jacking/shimming should have taken place before drywall was installed. It likely will need repaired afterward if that is what will happen.

Chances are floor will be shimmed to level it and new subflooring installed. At very least cabinet installer will most likely shim their cabinets so they are level.

With that kind of slope maybe that room was once an old porch and intentionally had slope to drain any water??

Most floors are not anywhere near an inch and a half out of level. Noramlly the cabinet installer can shim up the cabinets and use a little quarter round or trim at the bottem to kill the space and all looks normal.

An inch and a half is a lot of gap to try and cover. Then you must run the top cabinets at the same level as the bottom cabinets and you have an inch and a half difference in the space between cabinet and ceiling from one end to the other. A little much of a gap for calk. No matter what you do it will look crooked. Even the tile having to run at an angle to be plumb will not look right in the corners.

Yes I agree that leveling the floor should have been done early in the project.

growler

Electrical is what I am hired for. :)

Sloping floors not my problem unless they are so bad my coffee spills .... If that happens look out. :p

Again. I never suggested that the slopping floor was the OPs problem. I did suggest that he talk to the owner or builder or whomever is running the project to see what if anything they are going to do about the slopping floor.

If they say they are going to do nothing and just leave it that way so be it. You level your boxes and call it a done deal.

If they are smart enough to level that floor before going any farther you let them do that before you attempt to level your boxes. The level of the counter top is going to determine how your boxes look.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I once worked in a kitchen where the level wall cabinets met a tongue and groove ceiling which was parallel to the unlevel floor slab.
It looked awful until the carpenter tapered the bottom four ceiling boards to correct the angle.
It comes down to a decision on where to make the adjustment to make the discrepancy least noticeable.

Tapatalk!

kwired

Electron manager
Again. I never suggested that the slopping floor was the OPs problem. I did suggest that he talk to the owner or builder or whomever is running the project to see what if anything they are going to do about the slopping floor.

If they say they are going to do nothing and just leave it that way so be it. You level your boxes and call it a done deal.

If they are smart enough to level that floor before going any farther you let them do that before you attempt to level your boxes. The level of the counter top is going to determine how your boxes look.

Just furring the floor and applying new subfloor is different and can be done after drywall is hung.

But will make changes to cabinet/counter elevations from original floor - if not careful your outlet boxes could end up too low in the end.

Jacking the sill or other major support to level a floor can twist/bend things and if done after drywall has been installed may result in that drywall needing repairs - that is why floor/framing adjustments of that kind of nature need done earlier on in the framing process.

Sloping floor is sort of the OP's problem when customer doesn't like varying height of receptacles on the countertop, even if he gets paid extra to deal with it - it is ultimately him that will normally be moving them and not the framer, drywaller, cabinet installer, or other contractors.

Status
Not open for further replies.