Southern California Edison will no longer unlock meters for Electricians!

Status
Not open for further replies.
FYI-
For all you folks who work in SCE territory. As of a recent internal order , SCE will not place a work order to unlock a Meter or perform re-connect on the order of a Licensed electrician. SCE is mandating that the account holder only make these requests. So if a bill in in a tenant's name the building owner cannot make such a request for repairs.

Now if you cut the lock off they will bill the account holder for a replacement even though the building owner may be having the work done.

This is very odd and problematic to me in a emergency situation. I'm gonna cut the lock.

I might even look into getting one of those keys.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
One of the local utilities adopted that policy a while back. An electrician was working a commercial job that ended up carrying over to the next day, in agreement with the property owner. The tenant, not realizing the work was incomplete, had the meter reinstalled... open panels, etc.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
One of the local utilities adopted that policy a while back. An electrician was working a commercial job that ended up carrying over to the next day, in agreement with the property owner. The tenant, not realizing the work was incomplete, had the meter reinstalled... open panels, etc.

Sound like a real screw up on the POCO side. I call for a disconnect, I call for the connect, NOT Susie Dum Flock.

I lock it out, you don't unlock it.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I might even look into getting one of those keys.
The chances of getting one of those keys are a shot in a million. I made my own quasi-key from a large SEU staple. It takes a bit of fanageling but it works. Cutting off that hardened steel lock is a real PITA, especially if you have the ones that are on the locking ring around the meter.

Really the tenant did not notice the open panels and called for a reconnect. Come on .
That tenant knew exactly what he did.

Around my way the POCO will not set a meter without a building department authorization. I suppose that can happen without the EC knowledge too.

The more I think about this policy the more I see a problem.

The chances of getting one of those keys are a shot in a million. I made my own quasi-key from a large SEU staple. It takes a bit of fanageling but it works. Cutting off that hardened steel lock is a real PITA, especially if you have the ones that are on the locking ring around the meter.

Check out the interweb.

You can get one , pretty expensive

iwire

Staff member
Here there are very strict, no reconnects without the power company being called by the inspector.

We had a 'Day Spa' that lost power on a Saturday when a car hit the service conduit. We had it repaired on Saturday night but it did not get reconnected until sometime Sunday afternoon. because the local inspector could not remember or find his password for the power company. They would not reconnect without that password.

The spa was pissed, they had a very busy day full of canceled appointment's. You know, $300 nail cutting, $150 mud packs. :D

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Utility here will also not reconnect with out our approval. Problem on a job like the one Bob talked about, unless the utility is on site I wouldn't be able to release it until Monday morning either.

I am referring to service repairs like a main breaker. In the past it was normal and customary for a licensed contractor to call SCE to have the ring removed to safely perform the repairs. Now the customer needs to do so. They will ask questions to verify the account holder. They will also not lock the meter or reconnect after repairs are made without the customer calling.

In the cases I speak of the AHJ is not involved as this is not a service change. Main breakers and buss bar replacement are repairs which can be legitimately performed without permit. SCE will not even roll a repair truck by word of a licensed contractor any longer.

I may do work for landlords, these are not the SCE account holder. SCE will not roll the truck on the Landlords request either.

I think SCE is trying to protect someone but it is not doing so in the respect of safety.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I am referring to service repairs like a main breaker. In the past it was normal and customary for a licensed contractor to call SCE to have the ring removed to safely perform the repairs. Now the customer needs to do so. They will ask questions to verify the account holder. They will also not lock the meter or reconnect after repairs are made without the customer calling.

In the cases I speak of the AHJ is not involved as this is not a service change. Main breakers and buss bar replacement are repairs which can be legitimately performed without permit. SCE will not even roll a repair truck by word of a licensed contractor any longer.

I may do work for landlords, these are not the SCE account holder. SCE will not roll the truck on the Landlords request either.

I think SCE is trying to protect someone but it is not doing so in the respect of safety.
I know what you mean and up here they will not reconnect the meter with out our approval and in order for me to go out it would require a permit.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I know what you mean and up here they will not reconnect the meter with out our approval and in order for me to go out it would require a permit.
If someone came in to pull a permit for a repair that did not require a permit, would one be issued, or would this be a total Catch 22 situation?

(My guess is that as long as the permit fee was paid nobody would object. But that raises the cost of the job significantly. :()

I know what you mean and up here they will not reconnect the met

I am not sure if you get what I am talking about. SCE unlocks meters all the time. So that we can service the meter can. Either buss bar or breaker. When we are done we place the meter back and SCE places the lock and seal. I really don't know what the fuss is.er with out our approval and in order for me to go out it would require a permit.

I am not sure if you get what I am talking about. SCE unlocks meters all the time. So that we can service the meter can. Either buss bar or breaker. When we are done we place the meter back and SCE places the lock and seal. I really don't know what the fuss is.

RLyons

We cut them off all the time...10 in one service is my record :ashamed1:
Trick is using a grinder with a cut-off wheel. Cut 3/4 of the way thru pop apart with flat head.
Around here it can take up to a week to get the stupid things removed.

Recently had a guy pop in 9 meters that where 120v in a newly installed stack and turn the disco on....BOOM :slaphead:
POCO told us it would be a week before they could be replaced luckily we had some bypass meters laying around, poco was not happy and rightfully so.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I always call in for removal even if there is one of the old plain jane with utility seal. I was told these new smart meters report back if they have lost power or if removed.

SCE usually comes out in an emergency.

We cut them off all the time...10 in one service is my record :ashamed1:
Trick is using a grinder with a cut-off wheel. Cut 3/4 of the way thru pop apart with flat head.
Around here it can take up to a week to get the stupid things removed.

Recently had a guy pop in 9 meters that where 120v in a newly installed stack and turn the disco on....BOOM :slaphead:
POCO told us it would be a week before they could be replaced luckily we had some bypass meters laying around, poco was not happy and rightfully so.
So really what are we supposed to do. Wait a week?
The issue here is that call center does not want to even speak to anyone but the account holder.

Status
Not open for further replies.