Inspector cited this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgookin

What's on the table here - the issue of whether a ground pin is up or down?

Didn't know that was a sore subject around here. I must have missed something or be late to the party.

kwired

Electron manager
What's on the table here - the issue of whether a ground pin is up or down?

Didn't know that was a sore subject around here. I must have missed something or be late to the party.
You were late to the party, it is and has been for a long time in the forum rules as a taboo subject.

kwired

Electron manager
You were late to the party, it is and has been for a long time in the forum rules as a taboo subject.

Actually I can't blame you for never seeing it, I was looking for where this is posted and can't seem to find it. I know I have seen a list of taboo subjects before.

They want us to follow certain rules then they hide them from us to set us up I guess:angel:

kwired

Electron manager
Bob, pointed out where it could be found earlier, see the FAQ's

Roger
I saw "FAQ's 2011" during my searching but did not go to that link as I thought it was something else, and most of it isn't forum rules it is code FAQ's, maybe a little houskeeping of the site is needed sometime soon?

Last edited:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Maybe this spun off a little, but my earlier post on the ground up/down wasn't voicing my preference either way. The OP (?) said specs called for the ground pin up and I just replied with my guess at why the specs called for that. With it being a metal plate I was pretty sure of their reasoning behind the requirement in the specs.

If I started this (presumed) derailment, Excuuuuuuuuuse me!:)

Never once thought I was treading into the "taboo" area.:happyno:

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Maybe the Receptacle and Cover Manufacturers need to develope a Receptacle and Cover just for this type of installation.

The Receptacle yoke could have 2 addtional tapped holes in it like a switch but leave the center tapped hole in the receptacle just as it is.
Design a Stainless Receptacle cover with 3 holes in it instead of just one and problem solved for everyone.

Regardless whether the center screw of the cover, was used to secure a wall wart, came loose, or even went mising, it wouldnt fall down since it still would had the other 2, and the grounding wouldnt be comprimised either.

I'll be waiting on my royalty check whenever Pass Seymour, levtion, or someone like that decides to put such a great idea into play....:)

JAP>

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Maybe the Receptacle and Cover Manufacturers need to develope a Receptacle and Cover just for this type of installation.

The Receptacle yoke could have 2 addtional tapped holes in it like a switch but leave the center tapped hole in the receptacle just as it is.
Design a Stainless Receptacle cover with 3 holes in it instead of just one and problem solved for everyone.

Regardless whether the center screw of the cover, was used to secure a wall wart, came loose, or even went mising, it wouldnt fall down since it still would had the other 2, and the grounding wouldnt be comprimised either.

I'll be waiting on my royalty check whenever Pass Seymour, levtion, or someone like that decides to put such a great idea into play....:)

JAP>

Better yet, just have the listing for the wall wart specify grounding continuity which would require a one cent metal bushing in the hole on the wart where the screw goes.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Better yet, just have the listing for the wall wart specify grounding continuity which would require a one cent metal bushing in the hole on the wart where the screw goes.

Yea, but that wouldnt keep the cover from falling off after someone lost the support screw the first time they took it loose to unplug it, like a 3 hole cover would.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
You could always use a metal plate with a 1/2" K/O and install a doorbell transformer if the voltages are correct.

Not in any Critical Care area I've ever been associated with.
Those open terminals in that type of area seem somewhat unprofessional.

JAP>

sfav8r

Not in any Critical Care area I've ever been associated with.
Those open terminals in that type of area seem somewhat unprofessional.

JAP>

Didn't see any mention of critical care (not saying it isn't, I just didn't see that). It looks like surface conduit and a metal box. I wouldn't expect to see that in a critical care area.

Last edited:

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Didn't see any mention of critical care (not saying it isn't, I just didn't see that). It looks like surface conduit and a metal box. I wouldn't expect to see that in a critical care area.

Post #48.

Pharon

I have seen it many times too, but it still doesn't change the fact that if the receptacle face plate is metal it has to be grounded, and this one is not, therefore a code violation.
How is the faceplate not grounded? As long as the screw threads come in contact with both the metal faceplate and the receptacle center grounding screw terminal, it seems to me it's in compliance per 517.13(B)(1)(3), Exception No. 1 to (3).

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The screw body is a clearance fit through the hole in the plate and the non conducting tab on the wall wart will tend to center it in the hole.
Sometimes grounded, but not reliably.

Tapatalk!

Status
Not open for further replies.