Really bad idea #47

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razzap

Take a look at the attached photo. This is an exterior subpanel feeding multiple Recreational Vehicle sites. Three of the direct burial aluminum neutrals have been removed from the neutral bar and terminated under ONE copper #6 AWG (?) using a hose clamp. The copper wire appears to have an automotive type of insulation, not NEC type. The panel is Cutler-Hammer with Square D, Seimens, and other brands of CB's installed. There is no cover over the breakers, the panel interior is accessible just by opening the (unlocked) door. I see little or no anti-oxidant on any of the wires. I am sure there are other violations as well, including the only support of the panel is the PVC stubbed underground, subject to mower and snow plow damage. I am currently working up a design and quote to upgrade the entire park.

Attachments

• RV Box01.jpg
    RV Box01.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 0
  • RV Box02.jpg
    RV Box02.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 0

Razzap

My guess is the green tape is there because that is what color was handy at the time. I did not see any EGC's, only hots and neutrals. I can't shut down the box to take a closer look, it would affect too many campers. And I am not about to go poking around in that mess while it is still hot. Everything looks like it is on the edge of breaking or shorting out.

480sparky

That is a first...
You guys ever seen a metal romex connector used as a split bolt?

Romexconnservice1-1.jpg

Romexconnservice2-1.jpg

Look at the breaker handles and see they are missing the bar that ties them together. Unless they are single pole breakers. It looks like its in severe need of replacement!! The crazy thing is that almost every campsite ive been to I see similar situations going on. Unbelievable.:?

kwired

Electron manager
My guess is the green tape is there because that is what color was handy at the time. I did not see any EGC's, only hots and neutrals. I can't shut down the box to take a closer look, it would affect too many campers. And I am not about to go poking around in that mess while it is still hot. Everything looks like it is on the edge of breaking or shorting out.
But a failure in that equipment wouldn't effect too many campers?;)

Look at the breaker handles and see they are missing the bar that ties them together.
:)Reminds me last night I was at a big box store. Purchase a couple single pole breakers and a double pole breaker. The kid checking me out scanned the single poles, then grabs the double pole and tries to pull it apart for a few seconds - then finally turns to me and asks something like "is this supposed to be one piece?"

Why is the nuetral connected to an unsinulated attachement. I that a common type of attachement

I haven't seen that attachment device before but the way it is formed looks like it was intended to directly attach to it with no insulator.

Wilg

Those poor neutral wires....green tape wrapped on them, connected to red wire.....I bet they have an identity crisis. :?

Sad.......unfortunately too common.:blink:

Status
Not open for further replies.