250.32(A) vs 250.50 for 1 circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Definitions aside, is there a real inherent danger if this is not considered a structure and wired accordingly? This entire concept of a separate structure seems rather silly when you apply it to an installation like this. For example, if the same pole mentioned in the OP were somehow attached to a building then all of these separate structure rules would not apply. Does moving the pole some distance away make this entire installation less safe?

mwm1752

All of these poles are separate structures to the NEC.

art.jpg

As per 225.32 exc 3 agree -- The pole is manufacture specifically as part of the luminaire and is a luminaire per NEC definition which in turn is defined as equipment -- Are there other sections that refer to these particular pictured lighting standards as structures? I would define a utility pole as a structure, in which any luminaire may be mounted, as well as other types of equipment.

iwire

Staff member
Definitions aside, is there a real inherent danger if this is not considered a structure and wired accordingly? This entire concept of a separate structure seems rather silly when you apply it to an installation like this. For example, if the same pole mentioned in the OP were somehow attached to a building then all of these separate structure rules would not apply. Does moving the pole some distance away make this entire installation less safe?

I don't believe there is an issue and IMO that is why they have an exception removing the need for a disconnect switch at the base of each pole.

However if you run a feeder to the pole I see the danger as being the exact same as a shed a a home. A GES is required.

I don't know why the NEC requires a GEC for sheds, but I cant see any reason to treat poles with feeders differently as far as electrodes.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
As per 225.32 exc 3 agree -- The pole is manufacture specifically as part of the luminaire and is a luminaire per NEC definition which in turn is defined as equipment -- Are there other sections that refer to these particular pictured lighting standards as structures? I would define a utility pole as a structure, in which any luminaire may be mounted, as well as other types of equipment.
UL has a separate listing category for luminaire poles. It applies to poles over 12'. Shorter poles are "luminiare fittings" and part of the luminaire listing. Based on these listing categories, I would say that if the pole is over 12' it is a structure and if it is 12' or less it is part of the fixture.

iwire

Staff member
The pole is manufacture specifically as part of the luminaire and is a luminaire per NEC definition which in turn is defined as equipment --

Just because an item fits multiple definitions does not mean one overrules the other.

For instance a duplex receptacle is both equipment and a device.

iwire

Staff member
UL has a separate listing category for luminaire poles. It applies to poles over 12'. Shorter poles are "luminiare fittings" and part of the luminaire listing. Based on these listing categories, I would say that if the pole is over 12' it is a structure and if it is 12' or less it is part of the fixture.

Both are built or constructed.

IMO a luminaire placed on the ground without a pole is still a structure per the all encompassing building code and NEC definition of structure.

But your post does point out that the exception in 225 might not apply to luminaires not mounted on poles more than 12' tall. :D

mwm1752

Both are built or constructed.

IMO a luminaire placed on the ground without a pole is still a structure per the all encompassing building code and NEC definition of structure.:D

Both are manufactured -- So landscape bollards & uplighting ars structures? I have to install a GE at every 2" tall bollard or flood uplight? Iye's learns sumptin evary dey

transman2

Great feed back! Thanks for all your post but I believe I will use the code definition "structure " as meaning that any electrical equipment built and installed on any kind of structure/building and having more than 1 circuit I will perform as to what 250.50 says. I think I will also let 250.50 rule even in the case of 1 circuit. I believe stand alone structures or buildings need even with 1 circuit should have what 250.52 describes.

Thanks,

AHJ
Transman2

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Both are manufactured -- So landscape bollards & uplighting ars structures? I have to install a GE at every 2" tall bollard or flood uplight? Iye's learns sumptin evary dey
Only if you are supplying them with a feeder or more than one branch circuit.

iwire

Staff member

Yes both are manufactured.

That does not mean there where not built on constructed as well

In my opinion all that you mention can be structures

RB1

According to the scope of Article 225 the article covers the requirements for branch circuits and feeders run on or between buildings, structures, or poles on the premises. It is interesting how the scope differentiates between poles and structures.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
According to the scope of Article 225 the article covers the requirements for branch circuits and feeders run on or between buildings, structures, or poles on the premises. It is interesting how the scope differentiates between poles and structures.
I would guess that that is only because too few users of the NEC bother to read Article 100 and they have no idea that a pole is a structure.

Cavie

I assume that from the OP description if "High Mast" pole that it is a high way lighting pole structure. If that is the case the pole has at least 20' ground rod with at least 25 ohm or less resistance. That definitely is a structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.