NFPA 70E - Risk Categories

Status
Not open for further replies.

lielec11

NFPA 70E-2012 Table 130.7(C)(16) Protective Clothing and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)

I saw this one, however, where does it relate to incident energy levels? I see that it indicates the minimum arc rating of the clothing, but no where does it indicate the following:

Level 0: <1.2cal/cm2
Level 1: 1.2cal/cm2<x<4cal/cm2
Level 2: 4cal/cm2<x<8cal/cm2
Level 3: 8cal/cm2<x<25cal/cm2
Level 4: >25cal/cm2

Where is this defined?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I saw this one, however, where does it relate to incident energy levels?....Where is this defined?

It is not.

70E determine a Hazard Risk Classification (HRC) based on the task being performed, it then goes on and provides a table that says what incident energy level PPE must have based on the HRC.

While it has been a common industry practice to 'go backwards' and relate PPE levels to incident energy, this practice has been frowned upon by 70E committees.

lielec11

It is not.

70E determine a Hazard Risk Classification (HRC) based on the task being performed, it then goes on and provides a table that says what incident energy level PPE must have based on the HRC.

While it has been a common industry practice to 'go backwards' and relate PPE levels to incident energy, this practice has been frowned upon by 70E committees.

Interesting... I guess what is holding me up is the fact that SKM arc flash evaluation includes the levels. In reality I should only be focusing on task and the required PPE.

This table seems to be lacking though. Based on Table 130.7(C)(15)(a) removing bolt on covers is listed as an HRC levl of 1, and does not require rubber insulating globes or insulated hand tools. However, if my available arcing current is 20kA for one panel, and 2kA for another panel, shouldn't this come into play? As should the incident energy level. If one panel has IE of 15 and the other only 1, shouldn't the required PPE be different? According to the table though, it would be the same..:?

jtinge

Occupation
Sr. Elec. Engr
This was recently published in EC&M regarding the proposed changes to NFPA 70E-2015. The discussion of PPE Categories is found in 130.7(C)(15) SELECTION OF PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT (PPE) WHEN REQUIRED FOR VARIOUS TASKS.

Attachments

• NFPA 70E (2015)- Summary of Major Changes.pdf
    54.7 KB · Views: 0

lielec11

On another note, how can one work safely wearing an arc rated hood, suit and jacket? They are so bulky I can't imagine being able to perform some of the tasks that require all this gear.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
On another note, how can one work safely wearing an arc rated hood, suit and jacket? They are so bulky I can't imagine being able to perform some of the tasks that require all this gear.
It is not that much different from what a fire fighter wears at a fire and they don't have issues with it. In the training for my HazMat Tech B certificate, they had us in full suits, including 5 layers of gloves and you had to work with hand tools and bolts and nuts. In one part they tossed coins on the ground and you had to pick them up. Sure it is more difficult to work, all suited up, but if something happens, you will sure wish you had the proper PPE on.

As a side note, there are very few tasks you are permitted to perform while the equipment is energized. Just because you have the PPE does not mean that you are permitted to work on energized equipment.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
As a side note, there are very few tasks you are permitted to perform while the equipment is energized. Just because you have the PPE does not mean that you are permitted to work on energized equipment.

This is an observation that bears repeating on a regular basis.

However, you can work on energized equipment as long as you are not exposed to the hazard. That is a bit of a subtlety that generally does not matter all that much, but you could, for instance, potentially vacuum the filter on the intake fan of a control panel that is energized, as long as you are not exposed to the hazard of shock or arc flash.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.