Where does wall measurement start on stairwell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GerryB

I just finished a basement remodel and I was looking at the outlet I installed on the stair wall. So when you walk down the stairs or are standing in the basement room you have a full wall for half of the stairs and then it is open with a railing. I put one outlet in the wall. Measuring from the full side of the wall over it's about 5 feet, but if you measure from the bottom step over it is about 7'. It is really not a wall space. I guess my question is does the railing make it a wall? You could conceivably have a little table with a lamp on it if it was a few feet back from the bottom step. The inspector hasn't been there yet.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Being you just finished it, I wouldn't fret over it. You'll have plenty of time to do that after the inspector leaves, if it actually comes to that. :D

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
IMO there is no requirement for an outlet on the stair landing

I had to read the question again, but he isn't asking about a landing. He is asking about the wall extend from the stair treads to the lower floor of the stairs. I think it is an interesting question and I don't know the answer. I am going to have to guess that depending on the AHJ, one could argue that from the end of the stairs back is wall space, so the 7 feet the OP stated would be a violation.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
This sounds like the perfect situation for a Mike Holt graphic. I did a quick look and couldn't find one. Does anyone know if one is floating around?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I will admit that I can't visualize what is being described. Can you post a sketch of the installation?

north star

= + = + =

To get an answer, ...one must go thru the steps of researching the applicable
codes & standards.

Since the OP involves a Residential application, then the Residential Code is
the 1st place to start........In the IRC, ...the term "wall" is defined by either
being a load bearing or non-load bearing wall..........Since the IRC does not
clearly define the term "wall", then by default, ...one could then go to the IBC
for additional clarity.

From the `12 IRC, Ch. 2 - Definitions,
Section R201.3 - Terms defined in
other codes:
"Where terms are not defined in this code, such terms shall have
meanings ascribed to them as in other code publications of the International
Code Council."

Section R201.4 - Terms not defined: "
Where terms are not defined through
the methods authorized by this section, such terms shall have ordinarily accepted
meanings such as the context implies."

From the `12 IBC, Ch. 2 - Definitions: "
WALL - A vertical element with a
horizontal length-to-thickness ratio greater than three, used to enclose space."

That definition does not state "fully enclose" or "partially enclose", ...it just states
"enclose"........So, by definition, I would say that you have a wall with railing attached.

+ = + = +

GerryB

So here it is if it goes through. If not picture the typical basement stairs, if you are standing in the basement room looking at the stairs there is a full wal lon half the stairwell and then you see the open stairs the last half, in this case with a railing on it. So I am asking does the wall start at the bottom step with 1 inch of sheetrock

Attachments

• ceiling.jpg
    ceiling.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
So here it is if it goes through. If not picture the typical basement stairs, if you are standing in the basement room looking at the stairs there is a full wal lon half the stairwell and then you see the open stairs the last half, in this case with a railing on it. So I am asking does the wall start at the bottom step with 1 inch of sheetrock

Is it a habitable room in the basement?

Strictly by the code, yes, it is a 12 foot wall. By common sense, I would say you did OK.

Disagree.....receptacle required within 6 feet of the opening on either side of where the stairs enter the basement room (just like a doorway). Or if the stairs come straight down you still need a receptacle within 6 feet of either side of where you enter the room.

Last edited:

GerryB

Disagree.....receptacle required within 6 feet of the opening on either side of where the stairs enter the basement room (just like a doorway). Or if the stairs come straight down you still need a receptacle within 6 feet of either side of where you enter the room.

As I said I did miss the measurement during the rough, but we have had a final inspection and nothing was said by the inspector.

north star

+ ~ +

"As I said I did miss the measurement during the rough, but we have had a final inspection and nothing was said by the inspector."
IMO, ...whether or not the Inspector caught the violation or not,
you are still responsible to have a [ code ] compliant installation.

Again, IMO, ...this type of workmanship practice "might" set a
precedence in one's mind to not install to code.......I do not
believe that "intent" is enforceable [ i.e. - 2 wall receptacles
should have been installed. ].

+ ~ +

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
:thumbsup:
One rcpt. middle of wall. Client usage: <1.
Is it a basement or a cellar :lol:

Don't laugh; in NYC it makes a difference. I forget what the difference is, but don't put on the permit you're renovating a cellar and it's really a basement. They'll bounce the application. In NJ no one seems to care.

Status
Not open for further replies.