Where does wall measurement start on stairwell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scook56

Basement/cellar

Basement/cellar

Don't laugh; in NYC it makes a difference. I forget what the difference is, but don't put on the permit you're renovating a cellar and it's really a basement. They'll bounce the application. In NJ no one seems to care.

cellar |?sel?r|
noun
a room below ground level in a house, typically one used for storing wine or coal.
? a stock of wine.

basement |?b?sm?nt|
noun
the floor of a building partly or entirely below ground level.

Yeah, also can not be classified as a bedroom, office. Req'd second means of egress.

GerryB

Kinda harsh?

Kinda harsh?

+ ~ +

IMO, ...whether or not the Inspector caught the violation or not,
you are still responsible to have a [ code ] compliant installation.

Again, IMO, ...this type of workmanship practice "might" set a
precedence in one's mind to not install to code.......I do not
believe that "intent" is enforceable [ i.e. - 2 wall receptacles
should have been installed. ].

+ ~ +
Well, I can't remember the last time I failed an inspection, or actually as I write this I do remember a couple of years ago I missed a dining room outlet where the sheet rock was against the wall. The inspector simply said at the rough "you need an outlet there". I am a professional who takes pride and care to do it right. I prefer jobs with no radio blasting so I can think about holes and boxes and wires in my own little electrical world. So to think that I or any other competent professional, because this one inspector in this one town missed this (or maybe he didn't miss it at all, just thought it insignificant in looking at the whole job), that now maybe I'll try for 13' between outlets because of this "workmanship practice" precedent I now have, well , that would be kind of foolish, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.