LB conduit body & adding extra knockout opening

Status
Not open for further replies.

shade23

I have to add a junction box to a concrete base on an existing light pole for a lighting contactor.
There is a 1" LB leaving the pole base to 1" rigid going into concrete.
Is there a rule saying that I can not add a 3/4" knockout to the side of the LB. There will be no terminations in the LB and there is more than adequite room. I will just be routing wire from the pole through the LB and into the Jbox and than back to exit the LB.
Because of everything being rigid, if I have to cut the conduit I will have to remove several hundred feet of wire and I don't know what condition the conduit is underground.
Yes or No
Thank You

As far a I know you can't alter the UL label certification on an LB or any other conduit body by making it a T by adding drilling or adding a conduit opening. I see it done but it's not correct. If the body is cast you can break it apart, mark and cut the conductors and then add a Nema 3R box, then splice the wires in the box. No need to remove any conductors.

stephena

I have to add a junction box to a concrete base on an existing light pole for a lighting contactor.
There is a 1" LB leaving the pole base to 1" rigid going into concrete.
Is there a rule saying that I can not add a 3/4" knockout to the side of the LB. There will be no terminations in the LB and there is more than adequite room. I will just be routing wire from the pole through the LB and into the Jbox and than back to exit the LB.
Because of everything being rigid, if I have to cut the conduit I will have to remove several hundred feet of wire and I don't know what condition the conduit is underground.
Yes or No
Thank You

From what I see in code nothing prohibits punching a hole in a condulet. After looking in the UL Whitebook under Metallic outlet boxes QCIT and Nonmetallic outlet boxesQCMZ and also covers for condulets QCKW nothing is mentioned about not being able to punch a hole into it. Even the Electrical equipment installed in ordinary locations AALZ doesn't say not to. My only guess that it couldn't be done is if the instructions with the condulet said not to and then we wouldn't be able to in accordance with 110.3B Installation and Use

Status
Not open for further replies.