Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
There is no MBJ, grounded, or grounding conductor involved in a discussion about neutral current.
If that is the case, then how does the current that arrives from branch circuits and feeders at the theoretical summing node of the MBJ reappear at the "Neutral Point" at the Source (in the context of this thread "Test Question - Troubleshooting" the power company single phase 240/120 Volt transformer secondary centertap)? A rhetorical question.

All present grounding electrodes, GECs, MJB to Neutral Point conductive paths made out of the occupancy materials, Earth, and grounded service conductor, along with any municipal metallic systems and the other Premises Wiring (System)s connected to the same power company transformer secondary are absolutely part of the multiple parallel current paths that deliver the sum of "all the unbalanced ungrounded conductor current" from the MBJ to the Neutral Point.

To say otherwise is dissembling.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Just prefix SmartMoney's statement with "in the absence of a fault" and see if that helps.
Fault or no, the parallel paths in the scenarios implied by this "Test Question - Troubleshooting" thread are still parallel paths. Fault current, and unbalanced load current are going to travel in ALL available paths.

In my opinion, current can't read the Code.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Fault or no, the parallel paths in the scenarios implied by this "Test Question - Troubleshooting" thread are still parallel paths. Fault current, and unbalanced load current are going to travel in ALL available paths.

In my opinion, current can't read the Code.
I have not, am not, nor will not claim otherwise. But that is not what I am differentiating as intended vs. consequential.

Consider how it would be different if we changed from a MGN system to a GFCI-protected system...

patbet

troubleshooting

troubleshooting

I have to say before I read all the posts that I do alot of over the phone troubleshooting for the younger guys I have and I would have a few questions before making a determination with the little bit of information given. The way I would do this is to walk him through this 1 piece at a time. After checking all of the points of the circuit or feeder both visually and with meter/tester we would be able to definitively determine the problem. Not just guess based on experience. I find every situation can have similar symptoms with a different cause, including faulty connections, splices equipment etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.