Spa - Hot Tubs and equipotential bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I just noticed that the 2014 NEC has added Portable/Storable Spas and Hot Tubs to the definition of Storable Pools etc. In the definition we have this

Storable Swimming, Wading, or Immersion Pools; or
Storable/Portable Spas and Hot Tubs. Those that are
constructed on or above the ground and are capable of
holding water to a maximum depth of 1.0 m (42 in.), or a
pool, spa, or hot tub with nonmetallic, molded polymeric
walls or inflatable fabric walls regardless of dimension.

Now I have never seen a metallic walled Hot Tub so does this mean just about all Hot Tubs and Spas would not need the equipotential bonding. Not sure that is the intent but it does look like that since portable/storable pools etc. are not required to have the equipotential bonding

kwired

Electron manager
If conditions in 680.42(B) are met you still wouldn't need the equipotential bonding.

I think they just included them in the definition so that any general rules for portables will apply to them, but specific rules like 680.42(B) can still exist.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I understand that 680.42(B) exists and that would eliminate the equipotential bonding in most cases but this definition appears to eliminate the equipotential bonding in even more case. For instance, if the tub is nonmetallic wall and inset into the deck with less than 26" to the top, then it still would not need the epb.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
On another note what do you think the last part of this means? Do you think the intent here was to be a pool above ground or on the ground as defined in the first part. Hard for me to think that an inground pool is considered storable. As I read it it appears an in ground pool with nonmetallic walls would be considered a storable pool and an equipotential bonding would not be necessary. I don't think that is the intent

Storable Swimming, Wading, or Immersion Pools; or Storable/Portable Spas and Hot Tubs. Those that are constructed on or above the ground and are capable of
holding water to a maximum depth of 1.0 m (42 in.), or a pool, spa, or hot tub with nonmetallic, molded polymeric walls or inflatable fabric walls regardless of dimension.

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
"a pool, spa, or hot tub with nonmetallic, molded polymeric walls or inflatable fabric walls regardless of dimension."

I don't think in ground pools would have polymer or fabric walls.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Does anyone have a reference as to how this requirement changes from the 2008-2011-2014?

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
indeed..but they would not be "polymeric" walls.....or "inflatable"....

Last edited by a moderator:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
indeed..but they would not be "polymeric" walls.....or "inflatable"....

Sorry I edit your post instead of quoting it.

I don't see it as having to be all of the above just one-- nonmetallic-- there is a comma-- polymeric or inflatable. If there were no comma then I would see it the other way

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Sorry I edit your post instead of quoting it.

I don't see it as having to be all of the above just one-- nonmetallic-- there is a comma-- polymeric or inflatable. If there were no comma then I would see it the other way
Then there is the metallic inflatable for comparison.
(Mythbusters actually flew a lead balloon successfully.)

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
What I am saying is the inground pools you have described would not be either of those designs. The key is defining it as a storage pool. Sorry for brief reply...catching a plane.

kwired

Electron manager
What I am saying is the inground pools you have described would not be either of those designs. The key is defining it as a storage pool. Sorry for brief reply...catching a plane.
The definition includes three designs - nonmetallic, molded polymeric walls or inflatable fabric walls. You are suggesting only the last two of the three would not be in an in ground pool, which we agree but the definition still contains the "nonmetallic" which could be a lot of things that may be used for an in ground pool.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The definition includes three designs - nonmetallic, molded polymeric walls or inflatable fabric walls. You are suggesting only the last two of the three would not be in an in ground pool, which we agree but the definition still contains the "nonmetallic" which could be a lot of things that may be used for an in ground pool.

That was exactly what I was talking about however I think the last part may be intended to mean "on or above ground" but it does not state that. As written if the pool is nonmetallic and in the ground then no equipotential bonding is needed. I doubt that is what they had in mind. I am surprised they used the word nonmetallic rather than nonconductive

kwired

Electron manager
That was exactly what I was talking about however I think the last part may be intended to mean "on or above ground" but it does not state that. As written if the pool is nonmetallic and in the ground then no equipotential bonding is needed. I doubt that is what they had in mind. I am surprised they used the word nonmetallic rather than nonconductive
Had they used non conductive they wouldn't have needed to use three different descriptions.

I do agree that they may not have written it the way they intended it to be applied.

Status
Not open for further replies.