Grounding 5 main panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

MannyBurgos

Yes you can terminate your GEC (or GEC tap) to the neutral busbar. You can also terminate it at the EGC busbar if there is an appropriately sized wire-type main bonding jumper between neutral and EGC busbars. However, you are permitted to terminate a GEC to and at any point along the grounded [neutral] service entrance conductor. A GEC is only required to be connected within the same enclosure as a system bonding jumper of a separately derived system... not a service.

250.64(C)(2) says sections of busbar. It does not say sections of busbar and wire, nor does it say anything about listed grounding connectors that are not irreversible.

It says sections of busbars are peemitted to be CONNECTED together to form a gec. Connection of a neutral and ground busbars are often connected via a wire... Ground bars are listed for the purpose as well as are neutral lug kits. Listed would mean that if the wire size is 4awg, the termination better be liated to accept that wire size for example; the neutral lug kit.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
It says sections of busbars are peemitted to be CONNECTED together to form a gec. Connection of a neutral and ground busbars are often connected via a wire... Ground bars are listed for the purpose as well as are neutral lug kits. Listed would mean that if the wire size is 4awg, the termination better be liated to accept that wire size for example; the neutral lug kit.
This is sections of busbar connected together:

3502.jpg

This is a wire section [reversibly] connected to a busbar section:

12549291-cable_lug_bus_bar_conn.jpg

MannyBurgos

This is sections of busbar connected together:

3502.jpg

This is a wire section [reversibly] connected to a busbar section:

12549291-cable_lug_bus_bar_conn.jpg

Do you agree that the exception to irreversal compression connectors apply to busbars connected together? If so, when and how does an inspector determine what constitutes a "connection"? The AHJ has descretion till a certain extent.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Do you agree that the exception to irreversal compression connectors apply to busbars connected together? If so, when and how does an inspector determine what constitutes a "connection"? The AHJ has descretion till a certain extent.
I agree sections of busbar GEC are not required to be irreversibly connected... so how do you plan to run busbar from panel to panel?

MannyBurgos

I agree sections of busbar GEC are not required to be irreversibly connected... so how do you plan to run busbar from panel to panel?

I plan to install a neutral lug kit on either ground or neutral bar (since grounded and grounding bars are electrically bonded) at all 5 panels and run an unspliced GEC from lug kit to lug kit while providing a grounding bushing at all ends of emt where GEC runs through. At that point, i will take my GEC to the water meter. It will be unspliced all the way through. At this point, i will be using bare #4.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I plan to install a neutral lug kit on either ground or neutral bar (since grounded and grounding bars are electrically bonded) at all 5 panels and run an unspliced GEC from lug kit to lug kit while providing a grounding bushing at all ends of emt where GEC runs through. At that point, i will take my GEC to the water meter. It will be unspliced all the way through. At this point, i will be using bare #4.

"daisy chaining" like this does not meet the requirements of 250.64(D).

texie

Occupation
2002 NEC? For 2011, your right.. Not for 2002 250.64(D). D talks about GEC taps in 2002 which does not apply to the discussion. 250.62(c) is where we are at.

While my comments were using the 2011 edition as reference, but the answer is still the same. The 2002 edition it was 250.64(D) as well, just not as clear as the later revisions. I was never intended to allow daisy chaining.

texie

Occupation
Read 250.24(a) carefully...

If you are referring to 250.24(A)(4), I was assuming you are using the standard factory bond screw which would preclude you from attaching the GEC to the ground bar.

Maybe I am missing something here, but why are you trying to do the GES system in such a convoluted way when you could just as easily do it in a way that most would consider standard practice of just split bolting a tap from the GEC to each service disconnect neutral connection?

MannyBurgos

If you are referring to 250.24(A)(4), I was assuming you are using the standard factory bond screw which would preclude you from attaching the GEC to the ground bar.

Maybe I am missing something here, but why are you trying to do the GES system in such a convoluted way when you could just as easily do it in a way that most would consider standard practice of just split bolting a tap from the GEC to each service disconnect neutral connection?

So if i use the green bond screw at the main disconnect, i can't attach my GEC to the EGC?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
[FONT=&quot]250.24(A)(1) General.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The grounding electrode conductor connection shall be made at any accessible point from the load end of the overhead service conductors, service drop, underground service conductors, or service lateral to and including the terminal or bus to which the grounded service conductor is connected at the service disconnecting means[/FONT]

Smart $

Esteemed Member
No, you're not missing anything. ;)

I considered bringing up the latter-part method, but since he mentioned a meter pack in the OP, but I wanted to cover just running a single GEC to the POCO side first...

Status
Not open for further replies.