Wire too big for breaker (roy g)

Status
Not open for further replies.

roy g

I am working on a project which requires a 480 / 277 volt sub panel. Due to voltage drop we are using 600 mcm thwn wire. The 400 amp breaker (feeding the sub panel is a Sq d I line series) has a maximum wire lug size for 500 mcm. Is it code compliant to splice the 600 to 500 for termination to the breaker, or is there another solution?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You could use a crimp on adapter like this in the correct size:

029088.jpg

https://www.platt.com/platt-electri...luminum/Ilsco/ACM-350/product.aspx?zpid=29088

guschash

Infinity never seen those. Is that something new. I'm going to ask my supply house about them. Could of used them a few times.

Infinity never seen those. Is that something new. I'm going to ask my supply house about them. Could of used them a few times.

I think they have been around for awhile, I web then used in a sweet of gear that was at least 20 years old. I have never used them though, I always wondered if they make a good connection to the beaker since its a solid piece is aluminum vs the wire stands that smash into shape when torqued.

kwired

Electron manager
I think they have been around for awhile, I web then used in a sweet of gear that was at least 20 years old. I have never used them though, I always wondered if they make a good connection to the beaker since its a solid piece is aluminum vs the wire stands that smash into shape when torqued.

If it is similar alloy as the lug they will expand and contract at same rate won't they?

Besoeker

FWIW, it's a problem we come across from time to time.

This one solution we used on a 1250A ABB breaker.

1250ABreaker_zps35835164.jpg

Not the neatest job we've ever done, I know.
But it gets round the problem.

iwire

Staff member
FWIW, it's a problem we come across from time to time.

This one solution we used on a 1250A ABB breaker.

View attachment 11325

Not the neatest job we've ever done, I know.
But it gets round the problem.

As an electrician in the US I could not do that without the parts being a listed accessory for that breaker ....... or the AHJ approving it which would be doubtful.

Besoeker

As an electrician in the US I could not do that without the parts being a listed accessory for that breaker ....... or the AHJ approving it which would be doubtful.

This was part of a contract between us as manufacturers and the end user of the equipment.
To that extent, it is a private transaction and an agreed contract between supplier and end user in their works only with no third party involved or any member of the public being affected.

Who would be the authority having jurisdiction on such a matter? Would there actually be one?

Listed accessories?
Are you saying that copper bus bars connected to the inputs and outputs of a breaker would have to be listed?
Would you really consider them as accessories?

I just don't know.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If the listing information for the contactor showed only a range of wire sizes for the terminals or if some of the original hardware had to be removed to attach the bus bar, then I can see at least a technical violation.
If the finished assembly containing the modified parts was required to be in some way NRTL validated, I could see that setup passing a field inspection handily.

iwire

Staff member
If the listing information for the contactor showed only a range of wire sizes for the terminals or if some of the original hardware had to be removed to attach the bus bar, then I can see at least a technical violation.

Which an AHJ could cite me on. :)

When I have had jobs that required switchgear modifications we have either used the manufacturers parts or used a custom panel board or switch gear company to provide the parts and more importantly the engineering.

If the finished assembly containing the modified parts was required to be in some way NRTL validated, I could see that setup passing a field inspection handily.

Maybe, but an inspector is not likely going to take my word for it.

What is the SCCR of that set up?

Are the bus bars sufficiently braced?

An electrician cannot typically answer those questions about their own modifications.

I have no issue at all with Besoeker's picture, I am just pointing out that things are different for electricians compared to manufacturers. :)

kwired

Electron manager
I think most of what Besoeker builds would be listed if he were doing similar work in the US. He would probably be a UL 508? panel shop or something along that line.

electricalist

We have crimp tool for that. I think it was pricey. More than a few hundred.
I had to crimp 3/0 to fit 100 amp breaker. The tool crimped a cone shape 3/4 of the way into the wire. Be carefull that theres enough spacing for the crimps to be side by side going into the breaker

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
The OP said his breaker was I-Line construction, therefore the limiting factor will be the wire bending space. The offered 'reducers' will most assuredly also have space issues.
The breaker normally has field changeable lugs that accept 600kcmil, and can also be connected to bussing, but none of these options fit into I-Line panels. Surprisingly(?) a larger frame size (e.g. 1200A with 400A trip) would have 600kcmil as an available option in I-line construction.

kwired

Electron manager
The OP said his breaker was I-Line construction, therefore the limiting factor will be the wire bending space. The offered 'reducers' will most assuredly also have space issues.
The breaker normally has field changeable lugs that accept 600kcmil, and can also be connected to bussing, but none of these options fit into I-Line panels. Surprisingly(?) a larger frame size (e.g. 1200A with 400A trip) would have 600kcmil as an available option in I-line construction.

Bending space would be a limiting factor to what NEC would let you install, will not change what size lugs are in the breaker used.

The lugs will depend on what breaker is used, there is more then one 400 amp breaker. Just some fairly common examples from the catalog would include the LA/LH series with lugs accepting 1 -600 or 2 - 250's or the LC/LI (which is a 600 amp frame) accepts 2 -500's

At the bottom of the chart is a note telling you to go to a different page for optional lugs, which unfortunately I think sent me to wrong page, but I believe it is sending you to same options as there is for the general use L series breakers you just have the plug on bus end for I line that is not changeable the other end is same as other L series - or for within any other series for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.