Disposable manpower

Status
Not open for further replies.

MHElectric

I'm at a point where I could put another warm body to work once or twice a week. Not full time, probably not even 4 weeks out of the month. In fact calling it part time would be a stretch - more like a stand by employee.

I don't want to deal with worrying about keeping someone else busy every week. Just someone to pay maybe 40 hrs a month.

Labor Ready, Tradesmen - all these guys are a thought, but I'm more inclined to a young guy that's going through school right now or possibly someone that works another job.

Suggestions?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Probably younger person who goes to electrical or trade school and is not mechanically challenged is a better choice.

cadpoint

Problem with this State is they don't have HS vocational schools and only
very few have shop classes any more!

There are Vocational College people that you might be able to tap from.

Call your local Vocational and Community College and speak to the teacher(s),
You can see their class's offered online to know whom or which on to call.

A Quick Call to dept head might be a better bet, but guess what they all might
be on vacation...

kwired

Electron manager
I think you are looking on the wrong end here. Young people in general need more employment then just being called on whenever. If they are in school - that might work, but you have to work around school schedule as well.

Someone that has retired may be more willing to take on an odd jobs with short notices. Younger people need $$$, they generally have nothing saved yet or little reserves and if your position is not regular enough, they will look for other employment. The ones that are not looking for other employment are not the ones you are likely interested in anyway.

Cletis

You could join a local trades organization and use the shared manpower feature. Typically, it's 1.6x their normal rate but you can use only as needed and they stay on other contractors payroll and such. It helps everyone

kwired

Electron manager
You could join a local trades organization and use the shared manpower feature. Typically, it's 1.6x their normal rate but you can use only as needed and they stay on other contractors payroll and such. It helps everyone

How does insurance handle this arrangement? Not saying it can't be done, but think it would go more smoothly if all involved somehow have uniform safety policies and SOP's.

Otherwise a guy gets hurt while working for you and you get asked by insurance co. why he wasn't properly trained to do a task, or wasn't wearing proper PPE or something like that. And you have no idea what training he may have at his regular employer or just what safety policies may be like there.

masterinbama

Are you looking for help, or someone that doesn't need to be supervised?

I have 2 local guys that jump on board when needed and are good with the 1099.

The plus is they are young and can form pole bases and transformer pads with no supervision.

MHElectric

Are you looking for help, or someone that doesn't need to be supervised?

I have 2 local guys that jump on board when needed and are good with the 1099.

The plus is they are young and can form pole bases and transformer pads with no supervision.

I could reallyuse someone that is between a green helper and a top helper. But a day laborer who can chew and walk at the same time will do.

controlled

Im a small company (2 journymen and 2 apprentices) I have a few buddies that also own small electrical companies. When any of us get overly busy for a short period of time, we hire each others companies to help out. We invoice and pay each other just like working for any other customer. Essentially we loan out workers, but each worker is still employed by their original company and are paid by them. Since they are still employees from original company they are still insured by them.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I'm at a point where I could put another warm body to work once or twice a week. Not full time, probably not even 4 weeks out of the month. In fact calling it part time would be a stretch - more like a stand by employee.

I don't want to deal with worrying about keeping someone else busy every week. Just someone to pay maybe 40 hrs a month.

Labor Ready, Tradesmen - all these guys are a thought, but I'm more inclined to a young guy that's going through school right now or possibly someone that works another job.

Suggestions?

How about someone in their 50's from the trade getting ready to retire? Or someone on disability? I am sure there are people on disability that can do a fantastic job for a few hours a week, but couldn't hang for 40+ week after week that would love a job like you are offering.

kwired

Electron manager
Essentially we loan out workers, but each worker is still employed by their original company and are paid by them. Since they are still employees from original company they are still insured by them.
I understand that, but does the insurance company understand that. If contracting for each other, does the contractor have certificate of insurance on file for the subcontractor? Works the same as it does between a general contractor and any other subcontractor - if the sub isn't insured, is under insured, or whatever - then the general's insurance will probably adjust it's rate to cover where the sub is short. If you withhold information about using subcontractors from them and then end up having a claim - lets just say they will not be so willing to pay the claim. Not saying what you are doing is wrong, but if these situations haven't been considered, now is a good time to at least think harder about them and at least make sure you have all the proper documentation in order should something come up.

I understand that, but does the insurance company understand that. If contracting for each other, does the contractor have certificate of insurance on file for the subcontractor? Works the same as it does between a general contractor and any other subcontractor - if the sub isn't insured, is under insured, or whatever - then the general's insurance will probably adjust it's rate to cover where the sub is short. If you withhold information about using subcontractors from them and then end up having a claim - lets just say they will not be so willing to pay the claim. Not saying what you are doing is wrong, but if these situations haven't been considered, now is a good time to at least think harder about them and at least make sure you have all the proper documentation in order should something come up.

We use tradesmen all the time. The increase in their pay is worth it as it covers all of their OH without you having to worry about any of it. The problem is they need a couples days notice.

Also I have no argument as far as insurance not wanting to cover claim, as we have never had any incidents with any tradesman (knock on wood) and is an extremely valid point...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
We use tradesmen all the time. The increase in their pay is worth it as it covers all of their OH without you having to worry about any of it. The problem is they need a couples days notice.

Also I have no argument as far as insurance not wanting to cover claim, as we have never had any incidents with any tradesman (knock on wood) and is an extremely valid point...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Being a tradesman only helps with licensing rules, the other rules are general rules of employment and apply to more then just a particular trade. If you run a company (any type of business) and you have a employee that either is injured and needs to file a workers compensation claim or causes damages to a client and there is a need to file a claim on liability insurance - the insurance company is not going to care as much if they are a tradesman so much as whether this "employee" is covered by the policy, at least for handling the current claim, they may later question why they are not qualified for their job and use that to determine future premiums or even deny future coverage.

Not saying this kind of labor arrangement can't work, but one needs to make sure you got things covered or you could get burned when an insurance claim does come up. Insurance companies are good at finding ways to get out or or reduce payments on a claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.