Status
Not open for further replies.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
That's not an absolute.

Yes it is an absolute.
You boost from a LV source to a HV load and you buck from a HV source to a LV load.
Look at the second page of your document link.

You maybe confusing the H and X transformer winding terminals with the HV and LV connection points.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Yes it is an absolute.
You boost from a LV source to a HV load and you buck from a HV source to a LV load.
Look at the second page of your document link.

You maybe confusing the H and X transformer winding terminals with the HV and LV connection points.
Ahhh... I see where you are coming from. But it gives no indication of how the windings are to be configured so as to achieve your stated result. You're essentially putting the cart before the horse (and note, while everyone knows what that cliche means, we actually could put the cart ahead of the horse... only the steering is a bit more difficult and the horse don't really like it that way :D).

ronaldrc

Polarity isn't marked so hard to tell which diagrams are buck and which are boost.

Hey hows it going, just wanted to thank you for pointing me to that PDF
to verify that, that was a boost configuration.

And I wanted to come back and clear something up about using the numbers to know if
the windings are additive or subtractive.

As you know I retired from the electrical after 40 yrs. In that time I did hook a lot
of transformers up and a lot where buck boost. And through the years I did learn
that you could go by the numbers H1 - H4 and X1 - X4 and know if they where going to result
as additive or subtractive just by the way they are connected. I did not learn this in trade school
I learned this from experience.

Did you notice in the first diagram of the ops. that number D-D is the only diagram
that uses the bucking effect to reduce the voltage?

All the rest use the tap to reduce the voltage by reducing the number of turns.
All the other diagrams the winding are all connected in the additive configuration.

But I did do some searching on the subject and found this

http://ecmweb.com/content/basics-transformers-part-5

Which explains it in detail.

Ronald :)

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Hey hows it going, just wanted to thank you for pointing me to that PDF to verify that, that was a boost configuration.
Appreciate the thanks... but it is still a buck configuration :huh:

Did you notice in the first diagram of the ops. that number D-D is the only diagram
that uses the bucking effect to reduce the voltage?
Notice since you pointed it out. Previously did not look at the other configurations.

With the exception I don't see any of the referenced Figures.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
My bad I meant Buck

Boy its getting bad on this end, some times when I get up in the morning
to comb my Gray hair I can't remember which side I part it on.

And while I don't have the problem (yet :cool:), others would say you have it great in the fact you still have enough hair to part... and even get to choose which side. :D

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
My bad I meant Buck

Boy its getting bad on this end, some times when I get up in the morning
to comb my Gray hair I can't remember which side I part it on.

"Soon your head resembles Heaven for there is no parting there"
Paraphrase from song "Ain't it crazy?"

Status
Not open for further replies.