Receptacle Install time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
My pricing software says 15 minutes and that is what we bill the client.

69gp

My pricing software says 15 minutes and that is what we bill the client.

That might be good for T&M but on a bid job that's a pretty high number. I have it down pretty good for saving time when doing devices. We do a lot of assisted living and housing for the elderly. What we do is off the prints get a full count of all the devices and plates per apartment. Put them in a bucket and mark the room number on the bucket. When we are ready to install the devices someone most likely an apprentice will grab a bucket and go to the room toss the receptacles on the floor in the location where they are to be installed and on the counters in the bathroom and the kitchen. Same for the switches. When the journeyman comes around to install all he needs is strippers torque screwdriver and a cordless drill driver to mount the device. As he goes along he can throw all his trash in the bucket to be picked up later.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Is this new construction, installing the devices only?

Residential, I install about 35 per hour.
Commercial, about 30 per hour.

So about 2 minutes per device, and that includes the time to pass out the devices and plates. Last time i kept track, i installed 180 plugs and switches in 6 hours on a commercial job.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
James that is pretty fast so I doubt that is the national average. I also doubt anyone has every done a study on it..

My guess is about 5-7 minutes to be safe. I know I can do them in 2-3 minutes but again most people don't work that fast nor do they keep up the pace for 8 hours. The 15 minutes mentioned above is including profit etc not actual working time.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Also if you use the back wire it is a tad quicker then wrapping around the screw. We do not use the back wire.

Yep, a little quicker to back wire. But not substantial.

I know the question was about national average, I'd say your 5-7 minutes is about right. Most guys I've seen install 10-15 per hour.

For bidding, I don't figure rough and finish separately.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
Torque screwdrive

Torque screwdrive

"When the journeyman comes around to install all he needs is strippers torque screwdriver and a cordless drill driver to mount the device."

What is a torque screwdriver?

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
That might be good for T&M but on a bid job that's a pretty high number. I have it down pretty good for saving time when doing devices. We do a lot of assisted living and housing for the elderly. What we do is off the prints get a full count of all the devices and plates per apartment. Put them in a bucket and mark the room number on the bucket. When we are ready to install the devices someone most likely an apprentice will grab a bucket and go to the room toss the receptacles on the floor in the location where they are to be installed and on the counters in the bathroom and the kitchen. Same for the switches. When the journeyman comes around to install all he needs is strippers torque screwdriver and a cordless drill driver to mount the device. As he goes along he can throw all his trash in the bucket to be picked up later.

But, all the prestaging and planning you do is part of that 15 minutes a receptacle. That is often forgotten. Also, the estimating program doesn't have a line item for every step of every type receptacle. The wire stripping, bending for the screw etc. are just absorbed. A good rule of thumb until you get used to estimating is , take a quick stab at what your instinct says it will take and double it. I have found over and over in 20 years that works.

kwired

Electron manager
But, all the prestaging and planning you do is part of that 15 minutes a receptacle. That is often forgotten. Also, the estimating program doesn't have a line item for every step of every type receptacle. The wire stripping, bending for the screw etc. are just absorbed. A good rule of thumb until you get used to estimating is , take a quick stab at what your instinct says it will take and double it. I have found over and over in 20 years that works.
prestaging and good planning can lower that 15 minutes per receptacle though when all is said and done.

That 15 minutes per receptacle on a bid includes the time it takes to make/win the bid, order materials, receive materials, rough install, trim install, clean up, other administrative activity ...... Actual time an individual terminates conductors and secures device may only be a minute or two out of those 15 that were sold to the customer.

69gp

Like I said a lot of my work is assisted living and housing for the elderly. These are typically 36 to 108 unit buildings. Out of that you may have 3 to 5 different room layouts. So its easy to just use one room to load all the buckets up with the devices for each room and distribute from there. You will find that it will save a lot of time in various ways. If the person installing the devices needs to carry all the parts with him he will need a cart to carry everything. Times that by 4 or 5 men installing and I guarantee you its going to be more time. Depending on the room layout you may have 4 ways, 3 ways, 15 amp receptacles, 20 amp receptacles, GFI, Timers for bathroom fans, dryer and range receptacles. Plus the best part is you have a bucket to throw all your trash in as you go along.

I have found that this is what works best for me.

As for my time estimating double your 20 years and add 5 more and that's what I have.

masterinbama

You have to remember, the time in the estimating program includes purchasing, installing and disposing of the packaging. A 2X4 layin will not take any of us an hour, until you figure in the time it takes to transport it to the job and dispose of the box.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
You have to remember, the time in the estimating program includes purchasing, installing and disposing of the packaging. A 2X4 layin will not take any of us an hour, until you figure in the time it takes to transport it to the job and dispose of the box.

Very true. though I rough in a new residential plug in about 12 minutes average, and install a device in 2 minutes, I have about 40 minutes built in to that opening price

kwired

Electron manager
Very true. though I rough in a new residential plug in about 12 minutes average, and install a device in 2 minutes, I have about 40 minutes built in to that opening price
But those times are typically an average, there will be some that take longer and some that take less time. The one isolated outlet at the end of a long run possibly has more rough in time then most of the others on same project, probably about same trim time though as most of the rest.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
But those times are typically an average, there will be some that take longer and some that take less time. The one isolated outlet at the end of a long run possibly has more rough in time then most of the others on same project, probably about same trim time though as most of the rest.

Exactly. A per opening price is average, and we take the good and bad together.

btharmy

And this includes mounting a box, drilling between previous box and current box, grabbing the cable from the spool and pulling it between boxes, stapling where necessary, inserting into both boxes, stripping both ends and making up the grounds in the previous box? What so many forget is moving the spool around. Resetting the GFCI on the temp pole because the carpenters cord is crappy. I don't think I could stay consistently occupied with just one task for long enough to keep track of the average without interruption. So, the interruptions need to be figured into the average. They will happen.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
And this includes mounting a box, drilling between previous box and current box, grabbing the cable from the spool and pulling it between boxes, stapling where necessary, inserting into both boxes, stripping both ends and making up the grounds in the previous box?.

Yup. I've kept pretty good track of the time it takes. About 12 minutes to pass out the box, nail it up, drill the holes, run the wire and make it up. That's with holes drilled straight enough to run pipe through, every wire in the house installed without even a half twist in it, wires running straight as an arrow along the framing members, and makeup neater than you'll see just about anywhere.

But there's another 25 minutes or so for walk thru, mark out, materials pickup, paperwork, billing, long coffee break once in a while, drive time, etc.

Time wiring the house ain't even close to total time spent. You're right about that

btw, I don't use spools. I use 250' rolls. And I'm not usually moving my stud reels around. I find a good spot that works for the whole house.

Status
Not open for further replies.