Stripping larger than #10 Wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Well, I will say one thing, there are strippers available for sizes larger than #10. My regular pair are good for #12 - #6. You often can't find larger than #10 at a hardware store or big box, but look at an electrical supplier or online.
Got a sausage? Ideal decided to quit making my favourite kind of strippers so my local supply house doesn't have them anymore and I can't find them anywhere on the magical interweb.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Can you please provide something to back that up: scan, link, etc.

FWIW, common strippers 'ring' the wires.

PS: WELCOME :thumbsup:

http://www.southwire.com/TechnicalSupport.htm

There is a set of links on the right hand side of that page. Select the link 600v conductor file to download the pdf. Look under "Terminating Conductors". You'll find that it says to follow the lug/ connector manufacturers instructions.

Bear with me, it seems to erase my post if I go to get another link

http://www.ilsco.com/e2wViewStaticPageContent.aspx?PageURL=Reference&parentId=2100001003

The page that covers cpm adapters has the least amount of required reading.

Yes, common strippers leave a small mark on the conductors. Really, everything in the world comes down to common sense. I can put five guys on wire termination and all five will ring it at a different depth. Even better, that depth can change based on how sharp the blade is or how many wires they've stripped that day (fatigue). I'm sure they're are super guys out there, but I doubt any of them could squeeze a pair of strippers to the point of not getting the same, repeatable results the manufacturer intended.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/m_Prod...2mbCvxJED9O7cmmP6UWpO5h37KiGURhWyIaApiC8P8HAQ

These style does a great job, but you have to adjust it each time you change wire size.
None of these have any direct instructions on how to strip insulation from a wire... :?

From southwire.com/commercial/electricalfaqs.htm

Southwire has always recommended the same basic process for installing aluminum building wire as copper building wire. The conductor?s insulation should be stripped from individual conductors using tools manufactured for the conductor type and insulation type, or by standard methods such as penciling or whittling the insulation from the conductor. The installer should never ?ring cut? the insulation due to the risk of nicking the conductors inside.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer

Smart $

Esteemed Member

From southwire.com/commercial/electricalfaqs.htm

Southwire has always recommended the same basic process for installing aluminum building wire as copper building wire. The conductor?s insulation should be stripped from individual conductors using tools manufactured for the conductor type and insulation type, or by standard methods such as penciling or whittling the insulation from the conductor. The installer should never ?ring cut? the insulation due to the risk of nicking the conductors inside.

These are the ones I have...

http://www.amazon.com/Klein-11053-Tools-Kurve-Stripper-Cutter/dp/B000MKH0YC/ref=sr_1_3

It may be that only Klein makes this style for 6 awg stranded.
I think you are about as bad as manufacturers... ones that say you have to use their $$$ crimper for generic-level compression terminals. I'm willing to bet you can come really close to guessing the percentage of electricians that follow those instructions to a tee when they have an equivalent crimp tool of another brand.

That instruction sheet does not say you must pencil the end... but I'll agree that it does try to make one believe so... and it looks like an illustration drawn up back in the mid-20th century. I've been doing electrical work for going on 40 years and have been around other electricians through those years numbering in the thousands. You care to guess how many electricians I've seen use a knife like pictured...???

And then I just love the application of common sense! (sarcasm) The instructions say do not nick the conductor in one step and yet in the very next step tell you to use a wire brush on the conductor. Exactly what do you think a [carbon steel] wire brush is going to do to the conductor???

Also, recommendations do not equate with requirements. FWIW, I can strip a wire using a utility knife and not nick the conductor as all. There's a better chance of nicking the conductor with the strippers you use. Yes I use a similar pair of strippers most of the time simply because it is faster, and I don't care if it nicks the conductor because I know from experience that a slight nick isn't going to burn Rome to the ground. What manufacturers call a nick would IMO have to be an outright gouge to cause a even a minor problem.

So you ask for documentation, I provide it, and then your forty years of experience trumps the manufacturers engineering and experience and the UL testing. Got it. If would have let me know "because I said so" was the basis of your position I wouldn't have wasted my time.

Greenlee, the maker of that stripper, does not make wire or connectors. Southwire and Ilsco, the manufacturers of the wire and connectors does not make that style of strippers. It's collusion though...

The drawing is the sheet I received in my last order of cpm adapters.

I don't know the answer as to how many people actually do it the right way. I know Rosedin Electric doesn't allow knives for stripping, which means their guys don't even have a choice in the matter. They're a small outfit doing equally small projects.

You're right, you could probably do just as good of a job freehanding it as my tool. The only difference is the stripper I have is repeatable no matter whose hands the tools is in.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
If you read the manufacturers instructions they say not to ring the wires. While it's not in the NEC, the NEC says to follow the manufacturers instructions.

So you ask for documentation, I provide it, and then your forty years of experience trumps the manufacturers engineering and experience and the UL testing. Got it. If would have let me know "because I said so" was the basis of your position I wouldn't have wasted my time...
Don't get all worked up over the matter. I only counter posted an OPINION. Doesn't mean I don't see you point of view or appreciate you actually backing up your claim... because I do.

FWIW, I am a former manufacturer's engineer. I could explain the whole process and where some of the faults in the instruction writing process occur, but that is one of the reasons I am no longer in that position, by my own choosing, so I don't really care to get off on that tangent. I currently work in the nuclear power industry, where we follow manufacturer's instructions to a tee... because we have to be 'qualified' for everything we do, and everything has to be documented and traceable in the event of failure. So believe me when I say I know the ropes!!!

iwire

Staff member
Considering the damage inflicted on the conductors by a great many terminals and wire connectors all I can think this is much ado about nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.