50KW Portable Generator hookup to two 200 Amps ATS's/Services.

Status
Not open for further replies.

brucer

Forgive me for joining and posting although I'm not an electrician. I want to confirm that it is indeed okay to do what my local inspector and electrician are telling me. I am not doing this work, my electrician is but I want to make sure it's done right. This is a residential installation.

I have a single phase 50 KW Cummins generator with a 200 Amp breaker on it. The generator is portable and has a type G-GC 2/0 3C portable power cable with extra grounds and an Appleton AP20034ERS plug. I bought an AR20034RS receptacle with box to mount on the side of the house.

The inspector told me to run aluminum 4/0-4/0-4/0-2/0 in conduit from the appleton box to the first ATS, put additional lugs on the first ATS and join the second ATS using the added lugs. (daisy chain them). I would prefer to use copper but when I look up using copper it seems I would have to use 250 MCM to get a 200 amp rating using the 60 degree rating on the charts? ...seems extreme when the inspector told me to use aluminum 4/0-4/0-4/0-2/0...is using this aluminum correct or do I need help choosing the correct copper?

The next questions is daisy chaining the ATS's...is that permissible? (also the control wiring to auto start the generator will be daisy chained)

The first ATS is powering up my 200 Amp firm service panel, which with EVERYTHING cranked on high in the entire house reached 114 Amps going into th. The second ATS is powering up my 200 Amp off-peak service...which has two geothermal heat pumps/compressors that have soft starts, with both units running in second stage (thermostats at 80 degrees) the highest amperage going into the panel was 28.69 Amps with no noticeable spike on startup. In case it's not obvious, both panels are single phase 240 Volt.

Attachments

• sketch.jpg
    sketch.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 0

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report-40b.png
button at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.