Disconnect Switch Clearence from sink?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a specific clearance required for the installation of a disconnect switch near a sink. Wall space is a premium on a project I have and the best spot to locate a disconnect switch for a hot water booster heater is near a sink.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
To that I will add that as long as you maintain the clearance in front of the disconnect, having the sink close to the disconnect does not create a code violation.

iwire

Staff member
What's to elaborate about? Those who disagree, and they do exist, are just attempting to justify a Code violation.

In your opinion.:thumbsup:

It is my opinion that very little electric equipment requires servicing while energized.

Certainly a minority opinion but it seems to me most folks seem to skip over / ignore the word required contained in 110.26.

mwm1752

What's to elaborate about? Those who disagree, and they do exist, are just attempting to justify a Code violation.

I was looking for your reason -- apparently it was easier to lash out in anger( there's your sign). Disconnects come in all sizes from a snap switch to a large UNFUSED throw. Did not know my disconnect for a small AHU had to have clearances in an accessible ceiling.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
In your opinion.:thumbsup:

It is my opinion that very little electric equipment requires servicing while energized.

Certainly a minority opinion but it seems to me most folks seem to skip over / ignore the word required contained in 110.26.
I agree your point of view is acceptable for a single disconnect (other than a service disconnect), but I will add that 110.26(E) still applies regardless of that interpretation.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I was looking for your reason -- apparently it was easier to lash out in anger( there's your sign). Disconnects come in all sizes from a snap switch to a large UNFUSED throw. Did not know my disconnect for a small AHU had to have clearances in an accessible ceiling.
See my reply to Bob (iwire).

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I think the point is there is no way to comply with (E) even though many believe 110.26 applies to equipment in the ceiling. I remember someone had an inspector turn them down for having a disconnect in a crawl space for the electric furnace because there was no headroom

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Thanks and I agree it applies but as I am sure you know the requirements of E or F as it may be are much less restrictive than 110.26(A).

Nec 2014 110.26(E) Dedicated Equipment Space. All switchboards, switchgear, panelboards, and motor control centers shall be located in dedicated spaces and protected from damage.
?????????????? more confused than ever -- hotwater heater + disconnect
Amounts to clear space directly above and below equipment. General statement of 110.26 requires ready access for operation and maintenance, which amount to clear space in front of disconnect... even though we've covered 110.26(A) being somewhat moot for a single disconnect. Note the general statement doesn't say according to (A) through (F) as other sections do. This interprets to the general statement applies under all situations.

iwire

Staff member
Amounts to clear space directly above and below equipment. General statement of 110.26 requires ready access for operation and maintenance, which amount to clear space in front of disconnect... even though we've covered 110.26(A) being somewhat moot for a single disconnect.

Does E apply to a disconnect? I don't see it in the list.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Yes, but IMO switchgear is not a disconnect as the OP is asking about.
Code is not absolutely clear on whether a disconnect falls under just Article 404 or Articles 404 and 408.

2014 added a definition for...

Switchgear. An assembly completely enclosed on all sides
and top with sheet metal (except for ventilating openings
and inspection windows) and containing primary power circuit
switching, interrupting devices, or both, with buses and
connections. The assembly may include control and auxiliary
devices. Access to the interior of the enclosure is provided
by doors, removable covers, or both.

Informational Note: All switchgear subject to NEC requirements
is metal enclosed. Switchgear rated below 1000
V or less may be identified as ?low-voltage power circuit
breaker switchgear.? Switchgear rated over 1000 V may be
identified as ?metal-enclosed switchgear? or ?metal-clad
switchgear.? Switchgear is available in non?arc-resistant or
arc-resistant constructions.
...and confused the issue, IMO. There is nothing which says switchgear must be listed, labeled, or otherwise identified as such. I never considered a disconnect as switchgear before 2014.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
There is no way that I would ever consider a disconnect as being switchgear. I also don't think that disconnects have "buses" but really don't know what the definition of a bus is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.