Updated 480 volt machine wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

florida-sparkey

Occupation
Master Electrician
You need to keep in mind that the AIC capacity or the current limiting (fuses or wire length) MUST be upstream of the low AIC device. Current limiting downstream of the low AIC device does not protect against a fault in wire in between the two points.

This is just the opposite of the situation with motor loads where the overload (as opposed to short circuit) protection can be downstream of the protected wires.

My fuses are upstream and in a separate enclosure then the equipment. This was stated in the OP. That is why I do not understand why this discussion went in this direction with the other poster. I think my plan is SAFE and have a doubt only because of the input of others. I could be wrong and that is why I am asking do you see a safety issue related to my plan and AIC?
Thank you again for your time and expertise!

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
My fuses are upstream and in a separate enclosure then the equipment. This was stated in the OP. That is why I do not understand why this discussion went in this direction with the other poster. I think my plan is SAFE and have a doubt only because of the input of others. I could be wrong and that is why I am asking do you see a safety issue related to my plan and AIC?
Thank you again for your time and expertise!

In general, you cannot use CL fuses to reduce the available short circuit current from the supply to a piece of equipment. It is just not allowed.

You have to start by determining what the SCCR of the equipment is and what the available short circuit current is going to be at the terminals of the equipment.

If the SCCR of the equipment meets or exceeds the available SCC coming from the electrical feed, you are fine. If not you have to do something about it.

The rating of the upstream CB or fuses generally does you no good at all as far as protecting a piece of equipment (with an occasional exception). For example series rated contactors where you install a specific fuse in line to get a series rating with a contactor inside the piece of equipment.

Do you know what the SCCR of the pieces of equipment are?

Do you know what the available SCC will be at the supply terminals of the pieces of equipment once installed, keeping in mind that whatever fuses you have upstream serve no purpose for you?

If you do not actually know these values, you cannot proceed.

kwired

Electron manager
Hello all,
This is an updated and I think corrected idea for checking over.
Thank you!!

Two 3 phase 480 Volt machines- (50Amp air compressor and 13Amp air dryer)
I intend to wire 2 machines from a single 100Amp breaker.
I will go from panel about 2 feet into a small wire way (4x4x24" troffer) with #3 AWG CU. I will use Polaris 3 position connectors and splice two taps to each conductor. #10 AWG CU and #4 are the tap sizes.
The taps will be no more than 3 feel long and will terminate in fused discos with 70Amp and 15Amp current limiting RK1 fusees (MOCPD per nameplates.) (The 100 Amp circuit breaker has a max AIC rating of 34K, the fuse charts show way under 10K of let through at 40K value.)
#8 AWG CU will be used for grounding/ bonding from panel to both disconnects.

On the load side of the disconnects-
Circuit wiring will be reduced to #12 with #12 ground for the 15 Amp machine and #6 with #10 ground for the 50 Amp machine (both runs to machines are less than 20 feet)

All EMT will be bonded for circuits over 151 Volts.
Thank you for the input!!

One thing not brought up on the fault current level discussion is how much fault current is available? We may assume to some extent if your feeder breaker is 34K, that there likely is at least 20-25 K or more available, or someone just spent more then needed or that is just what happened to be available for some reason.

If you had longer conductor runs this could change everything related to this part of the discussion as the available current would not be same at the end of the run as it is now.

florida-sparkey

Occupation
Master Electrician
In general, you cannot use CL fuses to reduce the available short circuit current from the supply to a piece of equipment. It is just not allowed.

You have to start by determining what the SCCR of the equipment is and what the available short circuit current is going to be at the terminals of the equipment.

If the SCCR of the equipment meets or exceeds the available SCC coming from the electrical feed, you are fine. If not you have to do something about it.

The rating of the upstream CB or fuses generally does you no good at all as far as protecting a piece of equipment (with an occasional exception). For example series rated contactors where you install a specific fuse in line to get a series rating with a contactor inside the piece of equipment.

Do you know what the SCCR of the pieces of equipment are?

Do you know what the available SCC will be at the supply terminals of the pieces of equipment once installed, keeping in mind that whatever fuses you have upstream serve no purpose for you?

If you do not actually know these values, you cannot proceed.

I thank you for the input.
I have a licensed engineer friend who has checked my plans in the past before using current limiting fuses to lower available current with equipment near a service. Exactly how else would it be done? Run wire around the building? I cannot do a point to point and calculate the AIC. That is a waste of my time and the customers money if the worst case proves OK is it not? The worst case is a fault near the max of the engineered service equipment. That has been sized with 34K AIC branch breakers installed so the AIC must be less or the whole manufacturing facility and all the equipment is at risk. I however will still use 40K as my AIC at the terminal of the fused discos. The fuses let through is about 6K. No wire included. There is no SCCR listing on the equipment. Is 10K not the minimum for even household stuff?(this is not component level robotics or other fancy equipment, unit comes complete and ready to connect) Do all your jobs start with calling power co for AIC at the transformer? How do you get anything done? When is the last time you had to correct for AIC on a router / modem plugged into the receptacle on a dedicated circuit right under a residential panel?

I cannot understand your statement "you cannot use CL fuses to reduce the available short circuit current from the supply to a piece of equipment. It is just not allowed."
What exactly are they for? Not allowed by exactly whom?

This is littlefuse white paper on how raise SCCR of a panel using CL fuses and fused discos. It describes using my exact method of worst case and figuring the reduced fault current.
http://www.littelfuse.com/~/media/e...use_using_fuses_increase_sccr_white_paper.pdf

Below is copied from the Cooper Bussmann web site on CL fuse applications:

Benefits:

• True dual-element spring - trigger construction allows sizing of 125% FLA for motor backup protection.
  • Superior overload and cycling capabilities.
  • Extremely current limiting provides superior short-circuit component protection.
Applications:

• Recommended for AC power distribution system mains, feeders, and branch circuits.
  • Protection of motors and motor branch circuits.
  • Type 2 ?No Damage? protection for IEC components.
  • All general-purpose applications including lighting, heating and other non-inductive loads.

florida-sparkey

Occupation
Master Electrician
One thing not brought up on the fault current level discussion is how much fault current is available? We may assume to some extent if your feeder breaker is 34K, that there likely is at least 20-25 K or more available, or someone just spent more then needed or that is just what happened to be available for some reason.

If you had longer conductor runs this could change everything related to this part of the discussion as the available current would not be same at the end of the run as it is now.

Thank you for the reply
I need OCPD for each unit anyway. My using the full AIC value of 40K and CL fuses gets me to an acceptable level of 6K after the fuses without wire to or from the discos considered. (I use 40k because it has a line on the chart and I am not trying to read between the lines.)
I feel my error is way on the side of safety and overdone in every respect, But without any cost increase because I already need the lockable discos and OCP.
Do you agree?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
As a practical matter using CL fuses can only change the SCCR of a device or the AIC of an over current protection device.

It does not change the available SCC that is at the terminals of your equipment.

If you had 20kA of SCC available at the terminals of your equipment before you put in the CL fuses, that is what you still have there after they are installed.

The CL fuses are often series rated with other devices so effectively it can either raise the AIC rating of an OCPD or raise the SCCR of your equipment (not as often but it can happen), but the available SCC remains the same.

florida-sparkey

Occupation
Master Electrician
As a practical matter using CL fuses can only change the SCCR of a device or the AIC of an over current protection device.

It does not change the available SCC that is at the terminals of your equipment.

If you had 20kA of SCC available at the terminals of your equipment before you put in the CL fuses, that is what you still have there after they are installed.

The CL fuses are often series rated with other devices so effectively it can either raise the AIC rating of an OCPD or raise the SCCR of your equipment (not as often but it can happen), but the available SCC remains the same.

Sorry to be blunt but What I see is someone who has not offered 1 practical or helpful suggestion in all his posts. You have posted only No and cant do posts. No SCCR listed on the equipment? Sorry, close the joint down because dude says "If you do not actually know these values, you cannot proceed" ....I feel you have no interest in actually helping a licensed professional and instead are muddling the waters with theory. I am guessing you are an engineer and feel I should pay someone to help or stamp it. I have seen when an engineer is running a job in circles and his hours up and this smells of it. You have not even tried to offer any theoretical practical solution or method for me to even digest or comment on yet you keep posting. Clearly, I am no electrical engineer but like I said I have had one check my method in the past. Where he may differ from you (assuming you are one) is in that he is also an electrical contractor who understands that at some point, it actually has to get done with reasonable cost or the job will be lost to someone who will do it.
Thanks for the input

kwired

Electron manager
Sorry to be blunt but What I see is someone who has not offered 1 practical or helpful suggestion in all his posts. You have posted only No and cant do posts. No SCCR listed on the equipment? Sorry, close the joint down because dude says "If you do not actually know these values, you cannot proceed" ....I feel you have no interest in actually helping a licensed professional and instead are muddling the waters with theory. I am guessing you are an engineer and feel I should pay someone to help or stamp it. I have seen when an engineer is running a job in circles and his hours up and this smells of it. You have not even tried to offer any theoretical practical solution or method for me to even digest or comment on yet you keep posting. Clearly, I am no electrical engineer but like I said I have had one check my method in the past. Where he may differ from you (assuming you are one) is in that he is also an electrical contractor who understands that at some point, it actually has to get done with reasonable cost or the job will be lost to someone who will do it.
Thanks for the input

To be fair what he did say is if there is 20kA available at the line terminals of the fused disconnect, it doesn't matter what fuse is installed there is still 20kA available at that point. Do keep that in mind if trying to determine level of incident energy is possible when working in that enclosure because a fault on the line side terminals can still have that kind of current flowing. A current limiting fuse however can limit how much current passes through the fuse so the protection is on the load side - which appears to be what you are after. I don't have a lot of experience with using such fuses and there may be more details that need attention.

I do know unmarked equipment is assumed to be rated 5kAIC.

Also remember interrupt rating, withstand rating and available fault current are sort of related but are not interchangeable terms, you kind of have been mixing some terms in your posts that you maybe don't intend to throw in there and maybe adding to confusion on petersonra's understanding of what you are trying to say.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
you can do whatever you want. but when you ask for advice it would seem to be reasonable to at least listen to what is said.

you cannot use the rating of the OCPD found there as a means of determining the available short circuit current. the device rating is not meaningful.

you need to know what the real number actually is.

then you need to figure out what the short circuit current will be at the new devices. this is relatively simple Ohms law work.

you also need to know what the SCCR of the new equipment is.

if the SCCR of the new equipment exceeds the available SCC, you are fine. if not, you have to deal with it in some way.

one way of dealing with such things is to reduce the available SCC. It might be as simple as adding some extra wire. or maybe some reactors. just depends on what you find in your specific case.

another way of dealing with the problem is to raise the SCCR of the equipment you are installing. sometimes this is pretty simple. a lot of industrial control devices have series ratings with certain CL fuses. Add a CL fuse to the circuit and your 5kA SCCR magically becomes 65kA. But, this is not something that is universal. You have to actually take a look at all the power components in the new gear. The lowest rated component is the SCCR for that piece of gear.

Say the lowest rated component is a motor starter and overload. They may be rated at 5kA SCCR on their own. With the additional of a Class J fuse, the rating may be 65Ka SCCR. So if you add a class J fuse somewhere upstream (usually the rating is limited to a certain range), you have solved the problem for this piece of equipment. Again, this is not universal. You actually have to go check it out for each power component. It is not especially hard to do, but it is the only way to do it right.

Just adding a CL fuse to the circuit does NOTHING for you without doing the rest of the work.

florida-sparkey

Occupation
Master Electrician
you can do whatever you want. but when you ask for advice it would seem to be reasonable to at least listen to what is said.

you cannot use the rating of the OCPD found there as a means of determining the available short circuit current. the device rating is not meaningful.

you need to know what the real number actually is.

then you need to figure out what the short circuit current will be at the new devices. this is relatively simple Ohms law work.

you also need to know what the SCCR of the new equipment is.

if the SCCR of the new equipment exceeds the available SCC, you are fine. if not, you have to deal with it in some way.

one way of dealing with such things is to reduce the available SCC. It might be as simple as adding some extra wire. or maybe some reactors. just depends on what you find in your specific case.

another way of dealing with the problem is to raise the SCCR of the equipment you are installing. sometimes this is pretty simple. a lot of industrial control devices have series ratings with certain CL fuses. Add a CL fuse to the circuit and your 5kA SCCR magically becomes 65kA. But, this is not something that is universal. You have to actually take a look at all the power components in the new gear. The lowest rated component is the SCCR for that piece of gear.

Say the lowest rated component is a motor starter and overload. They may be rated at 5kA SCCR on their own. With the additional of a Class J fuse, the rating may be 65Ka SCCR. So if you add a class J fuse somewhere upstream (usually the rating is limited to a certain range), you have solved the problem for this piece of equipment. Again, this is not universal. You actually have to go check it out for each power component. It is not especially hard to do, but it is the only way to do it right.

Just adding a CL fuse to the circuit does NOTHING for you without doing the rest of the work.

Thank you for the help!
The reason I am avoiding the measuring is:
The service has multiple disconnects fed from a wire way so to be precise, I would have to take at least 2 enclosures apart to check wire size. It is all gear running at 480 volts in a dusty machine plant. I avoid risk when I can and do not see the reward.
The equipment is fundamental to the plant operation and shutting it down for even a minute to poke around is not allowed. This goes for the service as well as the compressor. The place runs 3 shifts.

I can appreciate your wanting to be exact but is there really any harm in assuming the worst?
Can we not assume the SCCR of the lowest component is 5K and therefore the unit is 5K. That does not seem unreasonable to me.

I can call the power co and get the transformer info to then get a guess of what is at the diso terminals. Point to point with estimated wire sizes used for the feeders. (In your opinion should I up size the wire to the next size in case the previous contractor did so for safety?)

I do not see how adding wire can help because the runs are short and in a tight area.

I have never worked with inductors so I am lost as to how to size, order or install them.

I seems to me that you have respectable knowledge in this but I simply can not understand why the fuses will not work. The fuse manufacturer, an engineer friend and a few other posters here have indicated they will. (This is one of your posts "My understanding is that, at least in general, the idea of using current limiting fuses to protect devices other than overcurrent protection devices is pretty sound.")
Are they not produced solely to limit current. I reread the littlefuse white pages on how to raise SCCR of a panel and all they do is add fuses. Yes they find the lowest SCCR of the parts but the end result is the same. ( the link is in another of my posts if you care)
Is this a matter of paperwork and certification rather then real safety?
Lastly, I thought class J fuses are for non motor (single element fast acting)

florida-sparkey

Occupation
Master Electrician
To be fair what he did say is if there is 20kA available at the line terminals of the fused disconnect, it doesn't matter what fuse is installed there is still 20kA available at that point. Do keep that in mind if trying to determine level of incident energy is possible when working in that enclosure because a fault on the line side terminals can still have that kind of current flowing. A current limiting fuse however can limit how much current passes through the fuse so the protection is on the load side - which appears to be what you are after. I don't have a lot of experience with using such fuses and there may be more details that need attention.

I do know unmarked equipment is assumed to be rated 5kAIC.

Also remember interrupt rating, withstand rating and available fault current are sort of related but are not interchangeable terms, you kind of have been mixing some terms in your posts that you maybe don't intend to throw in there and maybe adding to confusion on petersonra's understanding of what you are trying to say.

Thank you for the reply.
I totally misread that. In petersonra's post I understood equipment to be the machine and not the line side of the disco. This follows what I thought I understood about electricity.
Part of my issue is I am a horrible typist and I do screw up words readily the other part is I just improperly use AIC for everything. I just thought what I was "talkin bout" could be understood. I will keep it correct to the best of my ability going forward.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
My understanding is that, at least in general, the idea of using current limiting fuses to protect devices other than overcurrent protection devices is pretty sound.
And UL will tell you just how that works with what is called series rating. generally it requires testing that one cannot do one's self.

As for "just adding fuses", that may seem what is being done but it is a specific fuse added to the circuit of specific parts. Unless it is tested, there is no way to know if a specific combination will work.

Lastly, I thought class J fuses are for non motor (single element fast acting)
They are available both time delay and fast acting. Most SCC testing seems to have been done with Class J fuses.

I am inclined to think that some of this is overkill. However, I also don't know of any practical way to do it that does not involve following the rules that people who know a lot more about it than I do have come up with.

It would be roughly analogous to an electrician deciding he can use #16 wire on 30A circuits because he tried it a few times and it did not explode or otherwise harm anyone.

kwired

Electron manager
A current limiting fuse will have less "let thru" current then a non current limiting fuse.

You can not just install a current limiting fuse and assume it will be below a particular threshold though - you still need to run some calculations to see if you are getting what you are aiming for. And again you said you have 34KA breaker ahead of this, but that may only mean there is say 25 KA or so available and they went next rating higher. But sounds like some of what you have figured is likely going to work, but there may be a missing detail that throws everything off and I think it is still wise to know the available current - even if it is estimated - presumably rounded up where there are doubts just to be on the safe side.

florida-sparkey

Occupation
Master Electrician
And UL will tell you just how that works with what is called series rating. generally it requires testing that one cannot do one's self.

As for "just adding fuses", that may seem what is being done but it is a specific fuse added to the circuit of specific parts. Unless it is tested, there is no way to know if a specific combination will work.

They are available both time delay and fast acting. Most SCC testing seems to have been done with Class J fuses.

I am inclined to think that some of this is overkill. However, I also don't know of any practical way to do it that does not involve following the rules that people who know a lot more about it than I do have come up with.

It would be roughly analogous to an electrician deciding he can use #16 wire on 30A circuits because he tried it a few times and it did not explode or otherwise harm anyone.

Ok fair enough.
I will get the fault current data through the service as best as I can and report back if you are still willing to look at it. I could also try to see if the fuses and circuit breaker happen to be series rated,... but I thought that was for the service SCCR rating and not branch circuits.

Thank you very much for the help

florida-sparkey

Occupation
Master Electrician
A current limiting fuse will have less "let thru" current then a non current limiting fuse.

You can not just install a current limiting fuse and assume it will be below a particular threshold though - you still need to run some calculations to see if you are getting what you are aiming for. And again you said you have 34KA breaker ahead of this, but that may only mean there is say 25 KA or so available and they went next rating higher. But sounds like some of what you have figured is likely going to work, but there may be a missing detail that throws everything off and I think it is still wise to know the available current - even if it is estimated - presumably rounded up where there are doubts just to be on the safe side.

Thank you again for your time.
I am going to call the power co first thing and start the ball rolling on the available current calc. Soon as I work it out I will post it.

ADub

Occupation
Estimator/Project Manager
All this for an air compressor? Hopefully this isn't something they needed in service immediately.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
Ok fair enough.
I will get the fault current data through the service as best as I can and report back if you are still willing to look at it. I could also try to see if the fuses and circuit breaker happen to be series rated,... but I thought that was for the service SCCR rating and not branch circuits.

Thank you very much for the help

It is typical to need to pay attention to series ratings at service equipment for the main device and branch devices. But at same time series ratings are needed throughout the entire system, but also remember that available fault current is not same at the end of a conductor as it is at the beginnning of a conductor and even the resistance in a run of only 25 feet can significantly reduce the amount of available fault current and make the difference between needing say a 25kA instead of a 35kA rated device. Once the available fault current has been naturally reduced because of circuit impedance, those series ratings are not as important as they are when the circuit impedance doesn't have any impact on available current.

florida-sparkey

Occupation
Master Electrician
I went to the site and pulled a cover off the unit. below is pic of the data sticker. Is it possible that this is rated 100K or is that wishful thinking. It does not use the acronym SCCR. I could find no other markings less a UL listed cabinet sticker.

The second unit has no SCCR on the tag or anywhere else.

power co will take a few days to get back to me on the available fault current.

Attachments

• data label.jpg
    data label.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 0

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I went to the site and pulled a cover off the unit. below is pic of the data sticker. Is it possible that this is rated 100K or is that wishful thinking. It does not use the acronym SCCR. I could find no other markings less a UL listed cabinet sticker.

The second unit has no SCCR on the tag or anywhere else.

power co will take a few days to get back to me on the available fault current.

I think it probably means the fuse itself has a 100kAIC rating.

http://ep-us.mersen.com/fileadmin/c...rule-Fuse-Links-10x38-gG-400-To-690VAC-EN.pdf

appears to be some kind of European fuse.

ETA: It may not have a meaningful US rating at all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.