Working area around large electrical equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Clearances appears to be adequate, what is missing is a suitable level (?) work platform, which is not a NEC requirement.
The possible violation is between the gravel and the top of the skid frame, not the electrical enclosure. This is not much different than working space for 'ceiling mounted HVAC' equipment which can only be accessed from some type of portable work platform.
It is my opinion that where the base of the equipment extends past the face of the equipment that is mounted to the base, that you have a 110.26(A) work space violation. It does not matter to me that the base may have been provided by the equipment manufacturer.

I would agree that if a work platform was provided to extend the base that the violation would go away.

I see this as substantially different than where equipment is installed in a ceiling space.

kwired

Electron manager
Is the assembly, including the base in question, listed as a complete unit?

If that base were a aux gutter associated with that equipment and did not extend more then 6 inches would we even have this discussion?

Is that base as much associated to the installation as an aux gutter might be? If so what is wrong if it extends only is 6 inches or less from the components that do require access?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Where does the NEC require a work platform to be provided?
It doesn't but is requires a work space that starts from the front of the equipment and the base intrudes on that required work space. Either move the face of the equipment out to be flush the base to eliminate the intrusion, or build a platform at the same elevation as the intrusion to provide the required work space depth.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
It doesn't but is requires a work space that starts from the front of the equipment and the base intrudes on that required work space. Either move the face of the equipment out to be flush the base to eliminate the intrusion, or build a platform at the same elevation as the intrusion to provide the required work space depth.

The skid base is part of the equipment.
Acceptability of equipment is a judgement call for the AHJ.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Is that base as much associated to the installation as an aux gutter might be? If so what is wrong if it extends only is 6 inches or less from the components that do require access?
If it was electrical equipment there would be no issue if it only extended 6" or less, but the original post shows 10".
I am not sure an equipment base is electrical equipment. I don't see it as being any different from a house keeping pad, which in my opinion is a violation of the rules in 110.26(A).

Ataber

Thanks for everyone's input so far! The AHJ that inspected the site already gave them a pass. We show up when its time to start the inverters, so everything has already passed inspection. As stated this is an inverter + transformer skid assembly (good catch Jim). Our install instructions are pretty explicit on how the grade of the land around the equipment should be, but per usual that part of the instructions are buried (no pun) in the back of the manual, and the installers don't typically read it anyways.

This particular job site, as most of our sites are, is owned by a third party that sells the power to the utility (answering someone else's question regarding the relevance of the NEC at this site.) In my experience, no offense intended, but the AHJ on site is typically not familiar with the equipment, therefore has no idea of the maintenance requirements of said equipment, or even that it is regularly serviced.

There is a GFDI device located about 6'5" from the bottom of the equipment, I'm thinking this is my best route in dealing with our customer. it just doesn't look like there is clear wording/language stating that a level working area is needed in front of the equipment. I found a little in CalOSHA but its basically the NEC/NFPA70E regurgitated. I am happy that you all recognize the hazard though!

I'll be sure an post to let you know the outcome.

Thanks again for your assistance

-Auston

Status
Not open for further replies.