Proposed relocation of RF meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
To add to above, how do you feed this with a separate neutral and ECG coming from an OCPD ahead of it, is basically my question.

00332347.jpg
While perhaps not practical, could one just land the EGC in what is normally the neutral lug and run the neutral straight through the enclosure? Would the (now supplemental) analog meter still work correctly, or does it depend on having the neutral landed on those lugs?

Cheers, Wayne

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
While perhaps not practical, could one just land the EGC in what is normally the neutral lug and run the neutral straight through the enclosure? Would the (now supplemental) analog meter still work correctly, or does it depend on having the neutral landed on those lugs?

Cheers, Wayne

I don't see that there is enough room for that. Certainly not for a splice, and pulling a neutral through the box (whilst the rest of the conductors are terminated there) would be no fun at all.

The meter would still work with the EGC only at the middle lug. The meter isn't connected to the neutral, just the hots.

kwired

Electron manager
I don't see that there is enough room for that. Certainly not for a splice, and pulling a neutral through the box (whilst the rest of the conductors are terminated there) would be no fun at all.

The meter would still work with the EGC only at the middle lug. The meter isn't connected to the neutral, just the hots.

Plenty of room for a Polaris or similar connector for the neutral, only needs to have 2 ports.

kwired

Electron manager
I dunno about that.

How about you do it the first time and I watch?

:D
How much room may depend on the type meter you have. Around here most all there is is OH/UG style that have wider cabinet, OH only cabinets I can understand will be more crowded.

11bgrunt

Pragmatist
Occupation
Electric Utility Reliability Coordinator
Thanks to all that commented.
The original plan has not been revised. The house is from the late 60s and is not built four wire from the service entrace to the sub panels. The intent here was to move the RF meter away from the wall of the house, not rewire the house. I will build a riser to a URD meter can for cubic area, up and down with a grounded conductor in the pipe and mount to the existing POCO service pole. Add one ground rod with connection to that meter socket and the meter location changes. The analog meter add will be to make continuity in the old socket.
Approved by the POCO, his risk does not change and the main disconnect does not not move, IMO.
I believe this is code compliant and achieves the Homeowner's objective.
Thanks,

matt902

Wouldn't it be easier to cover the outside sides and back of the meter enclosure with lead flashing?Then the only RF emitted would come from the front of the meter away from the house.

kwired

Electron manager
Wouldn't it be easier to cover the outside sides and back of the meter enclosure with lead flashing?Then the only RF emitted would come from the front of the meter away from the house.
Now we have lead hazards:)

At same time the guy living in the house probably has WIFI, several wireless remotes for various items, wireless phone(s), etc. all giving him a higher dosage of RF then this power meter is:roll:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Since we are talking about RF and not particle radiation, aluminum or copper flashing or even galvanized steel would work just as well.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
Since we are talking about RF and not particle radiation, aluminum or copper flashing or even galvanized steel would work just as well.

Well, if the enclosure is already made of metal, how would adding another thin layer help?

I agree about the lead, though.

SOME RF has to 'get out' or else the meter would not be able to communicate with the POCO.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
Now we have lead hazards:)

At same time the guy living in the house probably has WIFI, several wireless remotes for various items, wireless phone(s), etc. all giving him a higher dosage of RF then this power meter is:roll:

I agree. They will get more RF exposure in a crowd where people are using cell phones than they ever would by simply having a smart meter transmit in the MW range for a few seconds a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.