Interesting use for a masonry box extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
This, from a ham radio forum I frequent:

Ever see one of these? I haven't. I'll bet @K8MHZ has. It's a double-sided electrical box. It has access from both sides. It could be an outlet on one side of the wall and a light switch on the other. In this case it was two 220V thermostats.

index.php

index.php

Double sided electrical box.....:rant:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
That worked. The problem with the direct links to qrz.com is that you have to logged in to see the images. That is why it worked for you.
You can test using a private browsing window.

Occupation
Inspector
This, from a ham radio forum I frequent:

Ever see one of these? I haven't. I'll bet @K8MHZ has. It's a double-sided electrical box. It has access from both sides. It could be an outlet on one side of the wall and a light switch on the other. In this case it was two 220V thermostats.

index.php

index.php

Double sided electrical box.....:rant:

I have, about one year ago, residential job I was on. Receptacles back to back

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Yep, 3 1/2" for studs and 1/2" drywall on each side makes 4 1/2".

Used one once but it's been awhile. Not even sure if I can still get them I think it poses a problem with fire rating of walls.
Explain how it would be used as a masonry extension box?

mgookin

Yep, 3 1/2" for studs and 1/2" drywall on each side makes 4 1/2".

Used one once but it's been awhile. Not even sure if I can still get them I think it poses a problem with fire rating of walls.
Explain how it would be used as a masonry extension box?

Adding brick veneer to a building with an existing box flush to the wall behind the brick.

+1 on the fire rated partitions. You can't have boxes on both sides in the same framing bay.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Adding brick veneer to a building with an existing box flush to the wall behind the brick.

+1 on the fire rated partitions. You can't have boxes on both sides in the same framing bay.

I'm still not sure how one uses these specific boxes as masonry extensions, as the face of the box on both sides has 6/32 holes for mounting devices unlike extension boxes which have a larger hole to allow it to mount to another box.

crainelectric

We use these for housing CAT6 "harmonicas" when we have to locate a termination point under the floor. Just put a handy box cover on each end and hang it with a Caddy clip.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.