Looped Power Feed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Tony if you have info to add please do so. If you are posting just to bust my chops that is not helping anyone.

I believe he has explained this before in a different thread. Of course I recall you did not listen much to him...

big john

I submitted a PI that was rejected that would have permitted small conductors in parallel.

I fail to understand why you need a study for this. As long as the OCPD rating is equal to or less than the ampacity of the smallest conductor that is connected in parallel there is no safety hazard.
Seems like if this is a common practice for our neighbors across the pond there is already a body of regulation in place addressing the safety. You'd think reference that would be proof enough.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Seems like if this is a common practice for our neighbors across the pond there is already a body of regulation in place addressing the safety. You'd think reference that would be proof enough.
Maybe it would have been if I would have cited it, but I doubt it. Someone would have to pay for a fact finding report done by someone like UL for my proposal to pass, and that is not likely to happen.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
It’s pretty obvious you have no interest in other regulations. Wrong, correct, wrong, wrong.

Yes we do, in fact MBrooke and i have the entire BS document available

Unfortunately , you've single handedly put the boots to any civil exchange we could have had with your prejudice against American Sparks , who you openly call 'septics' on your UK forum

So here's something you can take back there for us Tony

Kiss Our Septic A**

~RJ~

kwired

Electron manager
Put a 40 amp load in the center of the circuit and feed both ends of the ring with its own 20 amp breaker.

Roger
That is a problem with NEC, though if you had it balanced impedance wise on each half in theory they should both draw same current. NEC wouldn't like the parallel OCPD's either unless they are a listed together as a unit.

I was trying to describe a true "ring" or "loop" with both ends originating at same 20 amp overcurrent device.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Yes we do, in fact MBrooke and i have the entire BS document available

Unfortunately , you've single handedly put the boots to any civil exchange we could have had with your prejudice against American Sparks , who you openly call 'septics' on your UK forum

So here's something you can take back there for us Tony

Kiss Our Septic A**

~RJ~

I am still waiting for an apology about being called a 3 world country :rant::

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Tony if you have info to add please do so. If you are posting just to bust my chops that is not helping anyone.

You are talking to a man who thinks America is a 3 world country just because we have a Constitution and different standards. Please do not take him seriously.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
So you think I will never find the links to the AFCI threads and Iwire will be right?
What does AFCI threads have to do with this thread? We are talking about Loop (ring) circuits, I simply asked you for a link and now you seem to be upset.

What's your real problem here?

Roger

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
The English ring circuits debuted after WW2, engineered mainly out of lack of raw materials (CU) , summarily skimping on what would normally be a proper installation.

That their BS (aptly named) doctrine dictates 30A on the equivalent of 14AWG makes this more than evident....

what does one expect of a failed superpower?

~RJ~

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
What does AFCI threads have to do with this thread? We are talking about Loop (ring) circuits, I simply asked you for a link and now you seem to be upset.

What's your real problem here?

Roger

No, not upset at you. Or Iwire.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
The English ring circuits debuted after WW2, engineered mainly out of lack of raw materials (CU) , summarily skimping on what would normally be a proper installation.

That their BS (aptly named) doctrine dictates 30A on the equivalent of 14AWG makes this more than evident....

what does one expect of a failed superpower?

~RJ~

Rings well when intact, however, its funny that the UK requires RCDs in case something goes wrong yet nothing if the ring becomes compromised. Also, rings are frequently abused by DIYs creating a number of hazards.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
A 'spur' off a ring is allowed by BS Mr. MBrooke, so it's clear the abuse is advocated

Thier RCD's are serve as no more than a stop gap to it all....

~RJ~

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
Need i mention their 'consumer units' are manufactured with little more than what passes to hold hot coffee here to boot

~RJ~

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
A 'spur' off a ring is allowed by BS Mr. MBrooke, so it's clear the abuse is advocated

Thier RCD's are serve as no more than a stop gap to it all....

~RJ~

Yes, when it feeds a single socket. DIYs will often feed many sockets in an entire room with a spur leading to 2.5 even 1.5mm2 wire protected at 32 amps.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Need i mention their 'consumer units' are manufactured with little more than what passes to hold hot coffee here to boot

~RJ~

Tupperware containers. Its not until recently their regs required metal consumer units where they all gripe about a long needed improvement. Wire bending space requirements are still lacking, we took care of that in 1984, even though at the time our panels still had more wire bending space then they do now.

Status
Not open for further replies.