If your material gets wet

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgookin

Not exactly a high rise, the job I'm running now has four stories of stick framed residential units, which will be wired with Romex. AHJ will not allow us to run wire until it is roofed and windows are in, giving us 5 months from the beginning of rough in to CO on 115 units with 277 beds and baths, full kitchens in each, and about 1500 fire alarm devices. I agree with you, just wish my inspector felt the same...

Maybe plastic or plywood over the window openings would make him happy.

I think he's wrong, but if you can't convince him otherwise, maybe a temporary barrier will suffice.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I have had Romex get rained on. I would split each end a few inches and check for wet paper inside. If wet, I cut it back til I hit dry paper on both ends.

I used to set wet MC cable in the sun and let it dry all day, or set in a hot boiler room or other hot location.

kwired

Electron manager
For sure, that is what the definition says.

I am as sure as that as I am sure that 110.11 says dry location equipment shall be protected against damage from the weather during construction. :)

Wouldn't one need to determine exactly causes damage?

NM cable may not take the rain as well as the plastic boxes it is commonly used with - but both are dry location items.

iwire

Staff member
Sounds pretty silly to me. My current project took almost two years to go from foundation to topping out. During that time the interiors were being constructed about 5-10 floors below the upper decks, typically with no windows/curtain walls in place and definitely no roof. An insignificant infiltration of water during bad weather certainly isn't going to compromise the longevity of the cables we're using.

Looking at it from our experience I agree with what you say.

From a code, listing and manufacturers perspective dry location equipment, and that includes cables, must be protected from the weather.

I think you will only see this being enforced more and more.

kwired

Electron manager
Why so funny? If water isn't going to damage something why should it need to be protected?

The fact that NM cable can wick up water means it needs different consideration then say a EMT set screw fitting which is also a dry location item.

Status
Not open for further replies.