Voltage Drop from MCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

rene92

Because of voltage drop my customer is suppliyng me with 1/0 cable from MCC to my skid edge for a motor heater 120/1ph/60hz/5.5A. Planning on terminating 1/0 wire in a junction box on a Power Distribution block and stepping wire down to a #6AWG. My question is for wire cost what is the smallest wire i can use instead of #6AWG for 25' run from the jucrion box to the motor heater without affecting the voltage drop?

Fitzdrew516

Also... these numbers weren't making sense to me so I checked them. What percentage of VD are you wanting? Theoretically speaking even at a MILE (which would never be done lol) the VD on a 120V circuit with 5.5A and 1/0 CU conductors would only be about 5.9% on a resistive load. You can go 500' with #6's and only be at 2.25%. Something isn't adding up here.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Not only that, but for the cost of that 1/0 wire, why wouldn't you run a pair of 14ga wires at 480V out to a box next to the motor and put in a little 750VA transformer (assuming you can't change the heater voltage)?

rene92

VOLTAGE DROP

VOLTAGE DROP

Because of voltage drop my customer is suppliyng me with 1/0 cable from MCC to my skid edge for a motor heater 120/1ph/60hz/5.5A. Planning on terminating 1/0 wire in a junction box on a Power Distribution block and stepping wire down to a #6AWG. My question is for wire cost what is the smallest wire i can use instead of #6AWG for 25' run from the jucrion box to the motor heater without affecting the voltage drop?

I gave the wrong info. It's not a motor heater but a 525w Frame Space Heater but am still trying to use smallest wire possible out of my junction box and staying within a 5%VD. Will changing to a substantially smaller wire size at the junction box have any affect on the VD at such a shotr distance?

Fitzdrew516

I gave the wrong info. It's not a motor heater but a 525w Frame Space Heater but am still trying to use smallest wire possible out of my junction box and staying within a 5%VD. Will changing to a substantially smaller wire size at the junction box have any affect on the VD at such a shotr distance?

How far away is the heater?

Fitzdrew516

no issue
just wanted to make sure i wasnt going to affect the voltage changing to such a smaller wire size copmared to 1/0

Got it. Yeah, I'm not sure why anyone would think you would ever need 1/0's on a 120V, 525w load. You could go a little bit over 200' and still stay under 3% VD on that branch.
Are you absolutely sure you got all the numbers right (voltage/phase/wattage/etc.)? I'm only asking because I find it curious where the idea for the supplied 1/0's came from.
Just to maybe put this into perspective - Your standard residential portable space heater is typically about three times the load you've given us.

rene92

Got it. Yeah, I'm not sure why anyone would think you would ever need 1/0's on a 120V, 525w load. You could go a little bit over 200' and still stay under 3% VD on that branch.
Are you absolutely sure you got all the numbers right (voltage/phase/wattage/etc.)? I'm only asking because I find it curious where the idea for the supplied 1/0's came from.
Just to maybe put this into perspective - Your standard residential portable space heater is typically about three times the load you've given us.

Yes all correct, the customers MCC in the plant is a good distance from the motor skid since were operating in a hazardous area not exactly sure how far it is just that I need to provide for their 1/0 wire.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Is a bit odd. Sounds more like a install for a 10 rather than a 1/0 :)

luckylerado

.. what is the smallest wire i can use instead of #6AWG for 25' run from the junction box to the motor heater without affecting the voltage drop?

Ignoring feeders and assuming appropriate OCP is provided and copper conductors are used:

If you can keep the 1/0 portion to below 2835', your smallest wire would be a #18.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I agree with augie47, something is amiss here. 10ga instead of 1/0 sounds like a lot more possible scenario.

I can't imagine that connecting 1/0 cable to a little 525W heater is going to be even REMOTELY possible!

Ingenieur

Yes all correct, the customers MCC in the plant is a good distance from the motor skid since were operating in a hazardous area not exactly sure how far it is just that I need to provide for their 1/0 wire.

Operating in a harzardous area?
a 120/1 20 A ckt from an MCC?

gotta be a closer source of power

what is motor skid?
and a frame heater?

ADub

Occupation
Estimator/Project Manager
If all this information you've given is actually true and accurate then your customer is grossly misinformed and you're enabling their ineptitude. This is a good example of when you shouldn't let a customer tell you how to do your job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.